"We don't do that in France" - Is it true?

I own outright a huge shell of a house in the centre of a large-ish village in Dordogne. It needs a lot of work, including a new roof, which I now cannot afford to do (savings wiped out in 2008). It has been for sale for some time but, though I have reduced the price quite a lot, it does not sell. The usual reason is that it is so big.

I had discussed at length the possibility of turning it into low-cost housing (the plans were for 4 apartments) with a charity, but they backed out. I have spoken to the mayor, but he has no suggestions, Neither does the notaire have any ideas.

I am willing to go into partnership with a developer, taking payment only when the developed property would sell - an arrangements friends have had in the UK. When I asked the notaire if he could suggest such a developer, he said "We do not do that in France."

When I asked the estate agent about that kind of development, she said :"We do not do that in France."

I also thought that, as it is so large, it could be turned into something good for the community, a small museum, say, or a group of small offices or shops (it once held two businesses) but when I approached the bank about that idea, the manager said: "Ordinary people do not do that in France."

For every idea that I have had, the response has been the same, but I find it so hard to believe. Does anyone out there know of developers or charities or others who work in partnership with owners in France?

Many thanks.

Carl,

Can you find out who it was who was going to do the development? I had tried to do that very sort of thing but it fell through and I would dearly love to find another organisation (or government agency?) to try that again. I thought it was a very good solution.

Thanks,

Anne

I seem to remember that our building which by local standards is pretty big could have been converted into 12 low-end rental apartments with local and national government grants picking up 90% of the cost!

The catch is that we would have had little or no control over the building for around ten years after which time it would come back under our control to do with what we wished.

Good for her!

He's obviously a VERY brave or stupid chap. My missus spends half of the week making up new dance moves to teach & one hour to find out that half of the class ain't got no rhythm, a fact she already knows but chooses to ignore. Does it twice a week for nothing (lessons naughty). Still, she enjoys it & it keeps her out of my way;-)

I could compete on rhythm for sure but couldn't compete with most in the beardy stakes :-0

There is one man in our zumba class Vic and he hasn't been eaten. Yet....!

Having a man present could give them the extra va-voom they need, Vic! Go for it! There's rhythm in them bones I'm sure.

Actually I need to stop - going totally off topic and Anne will thump me.

Well, there's Zumba & some weird sort of keep fit thing my missus teaches but I'm buggered if I'm going there with all them scary wimmin !

Hmm, I wonder if there are any can-can classes at your local salles de fetes ...

No worries, it's yesterdays news. If the Admin can't understand how things work here it doesn't give much hope to us mere acolytes ;-)

Horses fine. Kicked sh*t out of each other & then ten minutes later they were nuzzling each other as if nothing had happened. A lesson there for us humans methinks ! I hope I can get my leg that high when I get to human age of the 31 year old chap ;-)

Edit. just had a look at the thread. It's a right old mess now. Can I keep me "big mwaaaa." please miss? I don't get many of 'em these days .

Vic, I deleted my comment left last night about Mr R squaring up and it seems to have deleted your response, probably because it was attached somehow thread-wise? Sorry!! My bad!!

Crikey, I hope there's nothing serious. I do have some sympathy with the old geezer, being myself a geriatric mare who can kick like a mule if riled. Mind you, I used also to be able to run like a thoroughbred as proved when a crocodile I was stroking suddenly thrashed its tail... ah, memory lane ...

Nice one Val. Great sentiments & even better turn of phrase. It's taken me 10 mins. to stop laughing & compose myself enough to type this reply :-) Oh hell. I've just watched our geriatric horse kick seven bells out of his upstart young mate & now they're both at it. Gotta go & look for casualties !

hahahahahahaha... :-D

Ah yes but, having leapt aboard numerous planes in my youth to enjoy (albeit relatively short) vacations in various parts of the world, often times much to the horror of my mother, I declare myself a woman of the world and I feel an urgent need to throw a virtual kiss Vic's way. So there, lol. My father did once say to me that, instead of spending many pounds flying out to Bonaire to be whacked in the head by a flying fish (blimey, did it bleed) he would happily have taken me to the fish counter in the supermarket and clobbered me for nothing.

None of that here please Val! We are British ;-)

@ Vic - big mwaaaa.

Just reading Vic's post and 'sarcastic, moi?" Makes me move into the world of Dell Boy French. I actually speak this very, very well.

If I am of a mind I will use any French word which happens to spring to mind! Voila, Fraises!

Vic, Val mr rehill appears to have left sfn so your comments looks odd now, do u want to do a clean up to straighten up the thread. I will delete mine after x