Weather warnings and complications

Or barmy? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

We have no aircon (or dehumidifiers which some are using ??) but find the stone house currently settles at 23c/24c… very acceptable when it’s touching 30c-40c outside.
While working at my computer, I’ve a small fan which wafts air gently, this way and that… and when the air touches me it “seems” that the air is actually cool… no idea how this works, but it feels wonderful anyway.

1 Like

https://www.ouest-france.fr/centre-val-de-loire/chateauroux-36000/chateauroux-en-pleine-canicule-l-eau-est-inconsommable-c8725304-ee6d-11ec-a52e-44edc7039e9e

This is just one area… check/ask at your Mairie … restrictions are coming in-line more and more…

It’s not that the air is cool. The movement of air causes evaporation of moisture on the skin. This evaporation cools the skin as evaporation requires energy and that energy is taken as heat is from the skin. :wind_face::sweat_smile::snowflake:

2 Likes

and it’s shifting the cool air on the tiles up and through the room… marvellous.

No matter what meteo france says… locally, it hit 43c in the shade and it’s now dropped all the way to 42c… phew. House has risen to 26c
Chilled glass of white wine… yummy
OH has prepared the necessary bits and bobs and I shall be flinging together a swift meal once I’ve summoned up the energy to light the gas… at the moment… .the wine is needing all my concentration… :wink:

1 Like

I count myself lucky. I’m on holiday this week in La Ciotat where it was only 35C this afternoon. At home it was due to be 40C, and 42C in the valley below us. We normally measure 2 to 3 degrees hotter that what Meteo France say, so it was probably a real scorcher at home. Going back tomorrow afternoon, so will find out what happened from les voisins.

Crazy temperatures today, but must have looked like someone about to swim the channel with all the sun cream on :grin::grin: as I’ve been outside doing work in the garden all day - so far consumed 3.5 litres of water!

I have to say, the bald patch :open_mouth: has suffered a bit over the last week or so. Peeling skin and all. I think it’s now hardened for the rest of the summer to come. T’was always thus.

I drove down to St Jean de Luz today in a warm car, arriving mid afternoon in 43 degree heat. By six it had cooled & is now a really pleasant 24.
I have just opened a Desperado beer that has been in the freezer for a couple of hours - gorgeous!
https://youtu.be/abFJuqp867g

2 Likes

@Mark_Rimmer
Oh … lucky you… I love St Jean de Luz…
Are you part of a Group or just on a wander… ??
love the video :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

11:20pm and it’s a gentle 30c with just a touch of a breeze.
Actually, it’s rather nice and I’ve been wafting around the garden checking on everything and sorting out the water bowls for tomorrow’s thirsty buzzing/flapping/whatever…

Fantastic storm at the moment but no rain though…

Rented Airbnb for a week,
A chance to get my eyes tested at an optician in Irun again. Well over the 2 year recommended time but at lest the wait is short. Last time I had it done I had to wait 45 minutes from asking for an appointment to having the test. I had glasses made up when I got home.
Sea food, coastal walks & a chance to wear “silly shorts” - you know, the ones that look like clown’s trousers & worn by northerners on holiday even when the temperature is near freezing. Sandles (without socks - I draw the line) & up in the hills with the dog.
Next week, dentist.

5 Likes

May I ask why?

The 13 month wait at 1st choice opthalmo might have some thing to do with it

I’m not much of a drinker but particularly avoid in these sorts of temps. Makes me feel decidedly unwell very quickly.

1 Like

I find that good vision makes driving a little safer.
As a glasses wearer it is recommended to have a test every 2 years & sometimes things can look slightly blurred in the distance - probably just the booze, of course, but it pays to be sure. :upside_down_face:

1 Like