We already did before we left the UK. And it happens in our area in France too. You must be very clever at hiding.
Thanksgiving in the Uk ? , I’ve seriously never heard of anyone celebrating it here, ( unless American). Please don’t tell me it’s becoming a ‘thing’ here ![]()
Before we came here we lived in southern England and it was a thing in the early 2000s if not before. When you say celebrated, I mean trick or treating. Around us some of the kids took it a bit too seriously and tried to demand money but I always said we did American style and only offered sweets.
Thought that was Halloween - not Thanksgiving.
Isn’t that Halloween 31/10 not thanksgiving which is the 4th of something?
Thanksgiving is around 26th November I think, still its November not to be confused with Halloween and All Saints Day - Toussaint here
You had me worried, thankfully thanksgiving isn’t a thing yet but Halloween is, unbelievable amounts of nasty plastic tat and cruddy, costumes are already invading shops. That’s not to mention the huge array of vile sweets and ‘party food’ coming to a shop near everyone, very soon ![]()
A couple of years back I was in the Uk I went to a garden center to choose some seeds, it was Sanata’s groto in the middle of November…
Apologies everyone, I misread Thanksgiving.
Please ignore me.
It seems you are a member of a tight-knit community . . . .
I was speaking with my brother last week and he said that where he works (John Lewis in Cribbs Causeway, Bristol) they and many other shops have already got Christmas items on display. ![]()
How depressing.
Nearest action shop here has xmas stuff on shelves already
And Martin (my brother in Bristol) said that his local Lidl also had Christmas goods for sale. One good thing about Christmas and Lidl here in France, is their Christmas Beer. It’s really quite nice - even I like it
![]()
Action is full of Christmas stuff.
Re: baby showers, to me that’s just a nice way to celebrate the pregnancy and coming birth. Gender reveal - who can give a wet slap for what the biological sex of the baby is? Seriously.
As for weddings, a lot depends on who it is and where. The most exotic and expensive wedding we went to was for a work colleague who married in Kerala - we flew to Goa, spent time with her parents, travelled by train to Trivandrum for the wedding. They divorced after less than 2 years because he wanted money and not a (fabulous, intelligent, beautiful) wife.
I was in middle sized home stores place .LAST MONDAY .it might have been a HomeBase and then taken over when they went … .
Halloween stuff in abundance of course close to the tills and the Christmas Tat on shelves but further back…
Back in the UK in around 1995, my niece who had been with her boyfriend for 7 years, got married. It was the works and cost my BIL thousands. 10 months later, they were divorced. And to this day, she has never re-married.
That’s odd, although for some marriage seems to be the last ditch attempt at keeping a relationship together.
When we married a few people I worked with said “I’ll give it 6 months”. That was almost 45 years ago.
When OH was in Booth’s supermarket last week he said staff were complaining at the huge stack of Christmas magazines that had just been delivered.
![]()
![]()
. I may be the only one who got that!!! Are you ?? ![]()
![]()
![]()
