Weed killers, what are you using these days?

Last time I was in France it was still in Brico shops.

Take it to the dechetterie and be pleased with all the wildlife you saved :grin:

2 Likes

I can confirm that our Dechetterie accepts “dangerous” stuff… rat poison, weedkillers etc etc… for safe disposal (like Pharmacies accept unwanted medications)
Of course, it has to be handed over with clear indication of what IT is…

If it was since January 2021 then they were also breaking the law.

I don’t normally copy things from the internet, but this was so appropriate.

We don’t have a doorbell!

6 Likes

:grin: :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

I agree - salt is a no-no. Remember it was used as a weapon for desertification to terrorise populations.
Don’t bother with chemicals, embrace the diversity of the natural world. Pull things out if you don’t like them.

3 Likes

I had Carthage in mind when I wrote that. :slightly_smiling_face:

Salt does get used on roads, but generally roads also have carefully engineered drainage that will carry it away instead of it washing into the surroundings.

So that it gets washed into other surroundings. :roll_eyes:

It should travel via drains, then rivers, to the sea. It’s also important to keep high salt levels out of small streams where they might do harm. With a large dilution factor, salt will not be harmful. A bit like Billy’s reference to Dihydrogen monoxide, anything can be lethal in the wrong concentration or in the wrong place.

3 Likes

Incidentally, this Advert appears at the top of my Survive France page… and yet, the chemicals it offers are not authorised to be used outside the borders of Belgium… as it clearly states.

It’s no wonder folk are confused… perhaps best if we all stick to no chemicals, as the best route…

I get ads for shoes, clearly some algorithm wants me to stamp the weeds out :joy:

7 Likes

Exactly… daft things in some of these adverts… I only checked the weedkiller one as we were all discussing it… normally I turn a blind-eye (not so difficult in my case…)

1 Like

Well, the description says acetic acid. You can use that in France. It’s basically a concentrated vinegar.

Didnt they change the formular in response to the ban?

They did, and this one says active ingredient is acetic acid.

I believe so, but if this new “Roundup” just has 6% acetic acid that’s bordering on fraudulent.

Not to mention the amazon.fr price of 40€ for 3l is ridiculously expensive - I note that you can buy 5l of 60% acetic acid on Amazon France for 69€ - diluted that would given an equivalent price to the above Roundup product of 3,45€ per 2,5l

Not that I’m overly sure I’d want to buy or handle 60% acetic which is moderately nasty stuff. Certainly wear gloves and cover arms & torso completely - and don’t let an unprotected nose get anywhere near the top of an open bidon.

1 Like

I am buying RPE this morning against 20ppm of acetic acid vapour.

I personally wouldn’t go anywhere near it. I used a 15% spray to help get rid of some troublesome ivy growing next to the house. That was bad enough and I ended up wearing a full face mask and glasses.

I’m merely saying what it says on its site… ita usage is forbidden outside of Belgium…

1 Like