Whaling in The Faroes

Live exports have long been a concern of many campaigning groups…Compassion in world farming is one of the groups I support…not to stop others eating meat…I’d never try to do that as I raw feed my border collies… but just to highlight the needless cruelty…The halal market is also huge…open to massive abuse and maybe it’s ok if done correctly…but I would defy any end consumer in the Middle East to watch the undercover whistleblowing footage of Emanuel exports live shipments and feel comfortable eating it…

2 Likes

P&O Ferries announcement…

2 Likes

Proposal for whale sanctuary in S Atlantic defeated, Japan fights on for the resumption of commercial whaling, not just killing them for ‘’‘scientific’’’ purposes :unamused:

1 Like

Good news for a change. Thanks for posting this Helen.

2 Likes

I myself find it strange that the people who are involved in eating this meat and feeding it to their children are in fact a walking health time bomb, and yet still they continue to do so. Studies on the Faroese have shown that In addition to fish, both meat and blubber from pilot whales are included in the diet. Muscle tissue of pilot whales caught in the Faroe Islands contains an average mercury concentration of 3.3 micrograms/g (16 nmol/g), about half of which is methylmercury. In some years an evenly distributed annual catch of pilot whales would make the average dietary intake of mercury close to an excess of the Provisional Temporary Weekly Intake of 0.3 mg recommended by WHO. In one out of eight consecutive births, the mercury concentration in maternal hair exceeded a limit of 10 micrograms/g where a risk of neurobehavioral dysfunction in the child may occur; the maximum was 39.1 micrograms/g. Mercury concentrations in umbilical cord blood showed a similar distribution with a maximum of 351 micrograms/l. The large variation in mercury exposure is associated with differences in the frequency of whale dinners. The average PCB concentration in pilot whale blubber is very high, i.e. about 30 micrograms/g. With an estimated daily consumption of 7 g of blubber, the average daily PCB intake could therefore exceed 200 micrograms, i.e. close to the Acceptable Daily Intake So there may be as they say - acceptable levels of collateral damage from eating whales and as such the eaters may die out… Also if you wish to have an ethical range of clothing stay away from anything that PETA tells you to purchase - they have absolutely no concern for the damage to the environment that the production of their “animal friendly” clothes brings. There are rivers in China (and surrounding grasslands) that have been totally polluted by the production of ethical clothing.

Is that not a bit harsh…wishing death on an indigenous population…???

And yeah I agree PETA have lost their way…lost the plot…maybe infiltrated…???

Sorry you are right, it came across sharply and bitter, I find it hard to see how these native people are going to survive if they continue to eat meat which is contaminated with mercury and do not know what the answer is either. The medical report makes me concerned for their continued health and it almost seems, in some cases but not necessarily this one, that tradition overtakes position of sense. However, there must be a way around it - the thought of mercury poisoning throws me back to the photographs I saw of Minimata disease (https://mosaicscience.com/story/mercury-poisoning-minamata-disaster-environment/) but upon relooking at this I realise that the mercury poisoning in this sad event is from a totally different circumstance. So if I have offended anyone by my comment I sincerely apologise that was not my intention but it certainly comes across that way - and as for PETA I am concerned that their position in the marketplace is not well founded for the environment globally and eventually pollution will kill those animals they seek to protect - us included.

1 Like

Thanks for the link Patsie…:heart:

Japan also has Fukushima…I don’t know what the answer is either except to stand together as The One People of Planet Earth…