Whaling in The Faroes

Just been looking at an artical in BBC News on whaling in the Faroe Islands, I understand it’s a tradition, but have reservations about how the poor creatures are ‘dispatched’. :thinking:
I have often been very close to whales and dolphins, and have no doubt they are very intelligent animals :unamused:

This is so horrific. Tradition is just a rubbish excuse for continuing to commit atrocities such as this including bull fighting, dog torturing festivals, bear bile farming etc etc.

Can you imagine the terror as these poor creatures are rounded up? They must taste all that blood and see the killing all around them. Sickens me.

:angry::rage:

2 Likes

It’s horrific and obscene, don’t understand the necessity in a modern world. As Mandy says it is akin to bull fighting, dog torture, etc and should be condemned wherever it occurs.

3 Likes

I too have reservations about how they are killed but since the Faroese do eat what they kill I don’t have problems with the why. You have no reason to complain unless you are Vegan/Vegetarian IMO.

1 Like

I would hate to think my Roast beef died like those poor animals Sue, I’m not vegan, far from it, but I think it’ disgusting. :unamused:

1 Like

The community do seem to take only what is needed by the local community…up until the point of capture they have led natural lives…slaughtered by the local community and the meat and by-products eaten and used by the local community…Highly regulated and tools of slaughter now much refined to limit suffering…

There is much much worse barbarity and cruelty happening behind the closed doors of uk and European slaughterhouses on a daily basis…the commercial industrialisation of the meat industry…the shocking living conditions of many animals…the live transport of cows pigs sheep sometimes across borders in insufferable conditions has all
led to outrageous and appalling brutality which for the most part we are sheltered from…I’d be much more bothered about how the animal providing a joint of beef or a leg of lamb or roast pork had been treated and slaughtered…prior to ending up on my plate… x :frowning:

3 Likes

Well we are on ‘nodding terms’ with our beef, bought from our farmer friend and neighbour, it leads a pretty pampered life before it gets to our freezer.
The scenes in that article, are simply, Barbaric!

I’m sorry Sue but that’s a bizarre logic. I also wear T-shirts and trainers, does that mean I can’t complain about the appalling sweatshop methods of production in the Far East??!!

1 Like

Not sure what they slaughter is ‘solely’, for their own consumpsion Helen, I’m sure quite a proportion, finds it’s way ‘out of’ the Faroe Islands :thinking:

No Mandy-but it does mean you’re complicit in their use doesn’t it-unless you check every item you wear for It’s ethical background.

I agree.

However, I don’t eat whale meat, don’t use bear bile, don’t eat dogs & cats, don’t attend bull fights or circuses or zoos. I am therefore not complicit in any of the revolting practices involved and it’s perfectly legitimate for me to complain and rage about them.

2 Likes

Me too, disgusting, in 2018, no one is that hungry, at this time, it’s barbaric and done purely for profit, nothing to do with home consumpsion Sue. It’s a peculiarly, expensive, (scientific) Eastern ‘’‘Delicacy’’’’.
Guess Where???

Btw, the same lovers of whale meat, are the ones who own the huge tuna fishing operations around Europe, because their Tuna is fished out, the tuna nets off the Spanish coast extend for many many miles, the migrating fish have not a lot of chance to breed, or survive,
European tuna wont last much longer either!

I know it could never happen, but…Personally ( and I do like fish, and to fish) I would like to see a total global ban on fishing for 5 years. Maybe using a rod and line would be ok…

It is illegal to take the Whale meat out of the Faroe islands Bill, our daughter in law is Faroese and she is forbidden to take any to her home in the UK, because her father is a fisherman who is only allowed to catch fish by line fishing often gives her loads of fresh fish to take home and the box of fish is always searched by the customs people and if any whale meat is found then it is confiscated and the person also faces a large fine.

3 Likes

Thanks for this information …:relaxed: … it is easy for folk to get the wrong idea…:zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

Ok Mick :wink:

1 Like

If man can butcher man, then little hope for these poor creatures. Humans never cease to amaze and disgust me.

2 Likes

Emanuel Exports in Australia have just been stripped of their licence to export millions of live sheep from Australia to the Middle East by ship…appalling cruelty…x :frowning:

1 Like

I was moored for quite a while in Waterford Ireland. On the opposite side of the harbour/river, cattle were regularly/weekly, loaded onto ships, to face the voyage across Biscay, round Iberia, through the Med’ to N Africa, so they could be slaughtered, to meet with Islamic tradition when they arrived.

1 Like