What a terrible way for this young girl to start the year

Quick on the definitions trigger there, @John_Scully, pretty nifty footwork but not IMO terribly convincing. Call it a score-draw? :hugs:

Sure, why not. It’s Christmas.

1 Like

I agree it was possibly avoidable but that in no ways exonerates the guilty nor confers any blame on the victim. I do expect a tour operator to have a duty of care. I don’t expect the same duty of care when I select a self guided dugout canoe fishing trip up the Limpopo as I would on a city break to Ayia Napa but I’d have hoped the latter was safer and to be advised if otherwise. I totally believe that any establishment that takes young people’s money and gets them pissed out of their heads has a duty of care. And as for the swarthy cops and judges, well I rest my case.

And yet, you just made the most ridiculously ageist and sexist comments ever…

Sauce for the goose (as they said…)

2 Likes

Cat, I have four daughters, three of them 50 or over, and none of them have ever been to or ever wanted to holiday in a resort like Aya Napa, nor have any of them to my knowledge ever got drunk, nor wanted to. I don’t think I am sexist and I have worked in a mainly female profession for over 50 years without ever being called out for being sexist, or discriminatory.

But I am a man and hold a man’s outlook on life, for better or worse, and unapologetically unless shown to be so wrong as to deserving of censure.

I am ageist in the sense that I regret slightly some aspects of modern culture which over-emphasises the value of youth and youthful beauty and often undervalues and underestimates the contribution of the old.IMO :smiley:. But I am not, I think, out of touch with the times we live in. :hugs:

Sorry I just do not buy that none of your daughters have ever got drunk. And that’s why I think you are totally out of touch. X

3 Likes

@Peter_Goble, visit any town centre in the UK on a Friday or Saturday night and see for yourself how some young women behave, perhaps you’ll then have an understanding of how things have changed since you were young.

2 Likes

Have they stopped using dance cards?

5 Likes

Who says that they are interfering?
If there has been a miscarriage of justice according to the laws of Cyprus, it would be a total abrogation of Duty for the Foreign Office to support this young girl.

Did you miss a word out Jane?

Who’s being a bit ageist and assumptive now, Tim?

But I ‘forgive’ you because you’re very funny and spikey, so carry on carrying on as you do.

BTW would it surprise to you learn that I have several shoe-boxes crammed full of tear-smudged dance cards in the grenier…? :broken_heart::kiss::hugs:

What did you do to them to make them cry Peter?

1 Like

yes, not!

2 Likes

I only showed them my card was fully booked John. It broke my heart, but what’s a chap to do? :broken_heart::roll_eyes::kissing_heart:

Oh good gracious, I can’t believe you actually came out with this . I hope you don’t have kids Anna :see_no_evil:. You sound just like those who’d blame rape victims for “wearing the wrong clothes “ or “leading their attacker on”. Rape in any form in whatever circumstances is just plain wrong. Culture has nothing to do with it . Wrong is wrong and no is no in any culture. Nor should the victim end up being tried or judged by you or anyone for that matter for his or her lifestyle , wardrobe or any other choices for that matter. What matters is that the truth is heard. If this were my daughter I’d be moving heaven and earth to establish truth and justice but whatever the outcome of that I’d be there standing by my daughter and supporting her. I most certainly wouldn’t be judging her in the way you are.

4 Likes

I’m sorry but this is complete drivel, How else do you explain that Delhi is the rape capital of the world?

2 Likes

I donno… could it be an endemic lack of respect of for women, especially those of the lower castes, in Indian society in general and the authorities in particular. In Pakistan it’s the old “exploding oven” trick that keeps women in their “place”.

Did I say they went there to be raped? No, obviously not.
Nor have I said that rape is acceptable or that the law shouldn’t come down on offenders. Nor have I said that the truth doesn’t matter.
All I’ve been trying to say in my posts is that kids oughtn’t leave their common sense at home. I don’t know why it’s so unpopular to say that. I would have thought it’s a message worth putting out. Yes getting justice is important but wouldn’t it be better if it never got to that stage in the first place, if kids actually thought, Can I trust this guy? Am I leaving myself open to abuse here?

But I understand now that nobody should ever be judged for how they behave.

1 Like

So how is my comment drivel pray? Have you ever been to India ? I have, three times and travelled thousands of miles whilst there. Through and in many different states by train , car and walking . I’ve gone “off piste “ in major cities and in the countryside . I was invited into people’s homes and met some of the friendliest and most generous people I’ve ever encountered. All of whom were strangers. I guess there are some here who’d , based on your and other’s comments , say I was taking risks. But I never felt safer - anywhere - and I’ve travelled all over the world . The only place I’ve felt really unsafe ? My own home, for reasons I won’t go into here.
One reason Delhi has that reputation ? Probably because it has a population of 29.596 Million.
Historically, Delhi has higher crime numbers among all metropolitan cities, earning the national crime capital moniker. According to National Crime Records Bureau data (NCRB), Delhi accounted for 38.8% of all crimes charged under the Indian Penal Code in all metropolitan cities for the year 2016.
According to the National Crime Records Bureau 2013 annual report, 24,923 rape cases were reported across India in 2012. Out of these, 24,470 were committed by someone known to the victim
My comment regarding culture seems to have been misinterpreted . What I was saying was that regardless of cultural differences rape is still wrong . Those who commit rape in India know it’s wrong . The judicial system in India (based incidentally & somewhat ironically on the British system ) knows it is wrong but it is ponderous and corrupt, as any reader of literature, history or the media will be aware. But things ARE changing, more voices are being heard and perhaps more importantly are being allowed to be heard.

1 Like

Cats post was aimed at Peter Goble not you Vanessa. You can tell by the avatar in the top right hand corner. Click / tap on that and you can see the post being responded to

5 Likes