What are the benefits of not registering cars

I’d query that Bob. There should never be a need to translate a CoC, they’re like Chinese menus, a number 42 is always sweet and sour chicken (or chassis number or whatever). I hunted out the one I used last year and despite buying that car in the UK, the CoC is in German and ANTS had no problem with it. They just followed the numbers.

1 Like

I think also, as is mentioned in this thread, there are certain things that are missing from a UK COC, that are on the French one…plus I believe that Mark, the motoring expert, told me it was also a matter of the “E number” on the VIN plate, for vans before a certain date.

It’s the “e” on the UK V5 document that allows you to get the CT done in France before re-registration.

I got the TVR stop-gap 4l V8. They announced the Griff at some motor show, got caught in a blizzard of cheques and had to put something out with a bit more grunt that the current S, with the 3l Ford Cologne V6.

I had to get the V8 after considering the V6 because a woman menber of the TVRCC said “anything less than V8 is for wimps”

So this thing took care of those lusting after a V8 till the Griff actually started production, over a year later. Identical to the V6 S but the bonnet scoop reversed, uprated brakes, wider track - 240bhp standard. No power steering and fat tyres - you wouldn’t want to arm wrestle a womam with the bisceps to park it in a gap.

Called the V8S, tested by ‘Motor’ 0-60 4.6 secs - faster than a Testa Rossa. Faster to 100mph than a 308QV. The 308 pulled ahead at 120 due to aero. Genuine 150mph. Fantastic torque. Could pull from 20 - 150 in 5th. I tried it - 20 -100 in 5th. Things really got going at about 85. The contemporary Morgan Plus 8 had a mere 204 BHP and 500kgs more to shift …

Favourite trick when being buzzed by GTI’s and such on the m/way was to gradually slow down to about 80, pull it back into 4th and floor it. Up to 5th at 100-105 and still pulling like a train. Adios GTI!

The roof design was brilliant. You could have full drophead, as per photo, cabrio by pulling up the soft 1/2-hood to overhead and fully enclosed by a GRP panel which clipped into the gap.

The noise from the V8. :grinning: When I got it I held my phone to a tail pipe for a pal, a Harley man, to listen to, “What’s that!?” “A 4L V8 TVR” “Bloody Hell! Four Harley Davidsons!

The Chaemera was a fabulous car. More compliant suspension and far bigger boot than the Griff. A real Grand Tourer as opposed to the Griff sports car. Tales in the TVRCC mag of Chimies cruising at 160 mph on the German autobahns. The engines kept growing. When ‘Motor’ tested the 5l Griff the final sentence was, “This time we feel TVR has gone too far.” 360 bhp in a car weighing 240kgs more than an MX5 - all the extra being engine!

The Cerbera was well named. It was a veritable monster. Tested to 186mph, due to the CEO starting a new family with another wife, the only supercar [and the fastest 2x2] to have baby seat anchors fitted as standard. I sat in one. Windscreen like a letter box slit. Awful.

1 Like

Hi how do you know an English plated car owned by Brits living in France are driving illegally, you can get a ct and insured on British plates by a French insurance company. Please check this out before you judge.

You are right of course however if you are resident you are legally required to change the plates over within a certain amount of time. We didn’t manage within the legal time (although changed to our French insurer as soon as we got here and they were aware and poked us for our CG details a couple of times) as I had a newborn baby / getting kids settled in and important things like windows / doors in before the first winter. So in theory having not meet the time we were being illegal but were properly insured and the insurer knew we were still on UK plates so I’m not sure what trouble we could in theory have got in!

We collected a vehicle from a dealership in early August having paid them 297 euros for them to organise the CG. This was submitted on 27th July and we are still waiting for the CG from ANTS. Last week my insurance company asked if I had received the CG as they needed a copy for their records, I said not yet and they weren’t surprised. Currently been with ANTS for 2 months and admittedly one was August.
Is this normal?

A friend of mine bought brand new from a dealer just before Xmas last year, it was put on provisional WW plates and he has only just got the new CG - 9 months!!

Do you mean the VIN has to include an ‘E’ or that the VIN # is ‘E’ as per the John Scully ‘Chinese menu’ format?

Yes you are right to some degree as we had the same problem, my friend how ever insured her car and horse box after fitting new head lights and getting a CT for the past two years and still on English plates.

It’s the living in France bit that will get you because it’s illegal for a French resident to drive a foreign registered car. As it is (currently) illegal for a UK resident to drive a non UK registered car in the UK.
The reason you can get a CT with a foreign registered car is because it is a prerequisite for registering a car over four years old. Interestinly, the vehicle doesn’t have to pass the CT to be registered, it just has to have done it.

You friends are breaking the law John/ Vicki. Not that I care. But why won’t they just comply with the law?

1 Like

I just checked my paperwork John (I’m a bit of a hoarder of paperwork) and I applied on the 6th of September last year and the provisional CG is dated 20/09/2019 as is the full CG. So I must have recieved at least the provisional one in about a couple of weeks. I’d have word with the dealership if I was you.

Now regarding my exchange license. I think it’s four or five months since I applied - and that’s after about a year I spent waiting only to have my (correctly filled in) hardcopy returned to me because they were “going online” :roll_eyes:

1 Like

There’s something dodgy there Mark.

No, UK V5 section K, type approval, not to be confused with conformity

No, I had them too last year, but only for a few weeks.

I couple of weeks I can understand but nine months? Was it get it over the year end I wonder, so it was a 2020 car?

No idea, no explanation was given, and now on permanent plates.

I am hoping/assuming that a Vauhall/Opel Movano, being no more than a re-badged Renault Master with ‘Reault’ stamped all over the oily bits, would have no probs with conformity?

I don’t think any/many modern British registered cars would have a problem with conformity, you just need a certificate to prove it.

Thats what our understanding as we have French registered cars ,but if the insurance company is telling them otherwise they feel they are not breaking the law. ?