What are the implications of a "red zone"

The Gironde is now a red zone and I just wondered, does anyone know what this means in terms of restrictions etc?
Sadly there is a very good vet/acupuncturist in Bordeaux I’ve been taking our Airedale to, Not sure I’ll be going to her again any time soon!

Not sure, I haven’t seen any ‘list’ of precautions or anything. Would be good to know!

1 Like

Means stay well away in my book!

4 Likes

When the red mark a department is it not likely to be the big city’s that is the the problem I mean the are many isolated villages in a department like the Gironde to

1 Like

Yes Martin, but also the people who live in the small villages work in Bordeaux, go to school in Bordeaux, shop in Bordeaux (especially at Ikea!) have friends in Bordeaux, catch trains in Bordeaux and planes in Bordeaux. We are in Lot et Garonne and our local town has a train station that is on a direct line to Bordeaux. Friday evenings the trains are packed with teenagers coming back home from college for the weekend. So we’ve been increasingly concerned that what’s happening in Bordeaux has a knock-on effect in our area.

2 Likes

Good point.

1 Like

As far as I can see… Red is for Danger and general alert… which I think we all appreciate.

Prefectures and Mairies will give their own extra take on things… but, for me, I would stay home as much as possible. Wear mask when out and about… be prepared to have things “closed” unexpectedly and very strict protocols to be followed where things are open…

So the departments around it should be red too then so the dordonge should be red louds of people work in Bordeaux the train station is full as is the toll road in to Bordeaux every morning

The ones around it should be orange, no? Or a variable shade of pink, depending on risk.

2 Likes

If all the departments around Gironde were red, then your argument logically infers that all the departments around them should also be red, including your Dordonge, yes? In fact every department in the country would be red!

1 Like

Maybe that’s the best thing anyway. It feels like The government have waited for the holidays to be over and then start making new restrictions again

It may feel like that… but, if the figures had not gone up… the new restrictions would not have been needed to be put in place… so, it’s regardless of the holidays being over… :thinking:

and, of course, for many folk… the holidays are not yet over…

I think that’s true. A balance was taken between bankrupting the tourist sector and risk. Fingers crossed it was the right balance. At least most of the tourists have gone home now, so the next couple of week will tell.

Thanks Stella

Son article 4 prévoit une catégorie spécifique de département : les départements à circulation active du virus. Dans ces départements, il est accordé aux préfets des pouvoirs supplémentaires pour lutter contre la propagation du virus.

not sure if it all is applicable straight away… but certainly it used to be quite restrictive…

Ces pouvoirs, listés dans l’article 50 du décret du 10 juillet, sont conséquents. Ils peuvent aller jusqu’à l’interdiction de déplacements dans un rayon de 100 kilomètres autour du domicile (sauf motif impérieux sur justificatif), l’interdiction d’accueillir du public dans certains établissements (restaurants, musées, etc.), la fermeture des aires de jeux pour enfants ou l’interdiction de rassemblement dans les lieux de culte, etc.

That could be some problem then like city’s like bordeaux tourist flying in and then catching it and the going to there gites in the departments around it then we are back in lockdown again that’s what I fear right now can happen

“Red” means that the department is in danger of having its hospital facilities overloaded and there is a high risk of infection (the “R” factor is above 1).

It will vary from commune to commune within the department. Nevertheless extreme care is needs to be taken, particularly to protect the most vulnerable.