What are you thankful for?

Others are sending stuff also:
https://www.reuters.com/world/india/us-provide-vaccine-components-medical-supplies-india-2021-04-25/

1 Like

All good, no country is an island in this, wealthy couhtries need to share.

I have always wondered, is there also sharing in India from their very wealthy classes and businesses to support for the poor ? IIRC when the foreign aid budget of the UK was discussed previously I remember someone said something about enough money for a space program and yet aid within India was not being financed.

It does sound like it would be common sense as well as decency for drugs and machines to be sent in greater numbers. Distribution must be a tough logistical task too.

1 Like

Thé EU are helping too.

https://www.huffingtonpost.fr/entry/coronavirus-leurope-se-mobilise-pour-venir-en-aide-a-linde_fr_6085922fe4b0ee126f67f1c0

1 Like

As they should be. The UK has already shipped the first lot of machines etc which is great news. The EU are a little behind that as, I guess, they are acting collectively which is bound to take more time. The US helping with vaccines is fantastic too. The more variants that occur in India the worse it will be for the whole world. Let’s hope more countries get involved.
Izzy x

The thing is there will probably be an upturn in the UK numbers ,if not another wave , later summer when all measures are removed and with variants happening Hopefully it won’t be as bad as before but the UK needs to keep equipment for that eventuality

France has actually blocked flights from India as well as Brazil.

Nothing to do with the EU Irene. France has organized its own supplies of oxygen to be shipped over just like they did last February when the alone sent 17 tonnes of PPE to China. Not everything has to pass by Brussels.
A great effort from all countries is needed.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it nice to live in a world where it was normal for countries to offer as much help as they could, knowing that if they then needed help in 6 months time they would also get as much help as they needed? Since Covid will be with us for a while we need a huge international library of hundreds and hundreds of trucks of oxygen capture and CAP ventilators just going where the need was greatest rather than to countries with the deepest pockets or most authoritarian government…

1 Like

Imagine the scene - slightly surreal - when our neighbour’s ex wife half-heartedly drove her car at next door’s front door. The impact was felt throughout our house and the car was so badly damaged that the lady driver could not open a door to get out.

After quite a long time, the pompiers turned out and we had a grandstand view of what happened next. First things first, the portable generator had to be started up. Unfortunately it would not start and at a certain point, I could not watch any more.

If the driver had been injured, she might have bled to death by the time she was finally released. I am so grateful that I do not rely on these emergency services any more.

What, particularly, was she upset about? Were there any legal consequences?

Hi Karen Brown, We did not get to know our neighbours at all - we lived on the corner on a side street and they lived in the main road. The car was halted by the high kerb just outside of our window and the kerb also prevented the car door from opening. Of course in a town of 1600 people, there were rumours but we did not know what to believe.