What are your favourite dvd's?

Many films and U.K./US series on French TV can be watched in their original language (VO). If your television or TNT box is new enough to pick up the programmes it should have the ability to switch between avaliable languages. When watching TV in French having the French subtitles can make things easier to understand as they are often a précis of what was said and are easier to follow.

1 Like

I bought a French tv here which in some ways I now regret as it it costs over half of what I would have had to pay if I hadn’t bought it and just relied on my phone and YouTube…I am reliably informed by Orange that for a further payment of I think it was €50 I can have a box that will receive yet more channels…when I asked if the further channels would be English tv channels then no one could be sure so I declined…I’m not moaning…I never had a satellite dish or sky in uk and I don’t have a satellite dish here either…I’m happy with Orange France for my landline and internet and they have been first class at resolving early connectivity incompatibilities…There is probably more that my remote control is capable of that I have yet to fathom…When my son returned to uk from his last visit I had to ring him and ask what knob I had to press to watch Sherlock homes again…lol…

we have regular tv there is enough on there to keep kids and wife happy. i personally do not watch TV. Ive just got the 7 series of game of thrones and while ive watched season one long ago, just now trying to get into watching it but in french as im trying to get to grips with french on a daily basis rather than the same old conversation i have, my wife prefers watching english and american programs over french programs. I prefer to have the english subs on so i can have some semblance of what was said or is going on. the lol is because most dubbed films become a bit of a giggle like the voice overs in bones. it just does not come across right, they haven’t got the same ring and authenticity of the original actors. hence the lol and why my wife prefers stuff in original format and french stuff in french.

1 Like

The Darling Buds of May reminded me of another of my favourite box sets, Frost.

Did you get Diamond Geezer as well ??

Whoops, I said Dic Martin was on Sundays. It’s not, it’s Fridays, tonight.
Salut, n’oublie pas de regarder “Doc Martin” sur Chérie 25 aujourd’hui à 20:55.

Et je te recommande de télécharger l’application iPad Télé-Loisirs pour retrouver le programme TV complet et aussi un système d’alertes et d’enregistrement à distance sur ta box pour ne plus rater tes programmes préférés.

Whoops Dominic… I don’t get TV be it English or French… dvd’s and videos only.:heart_eyes:

Is Tele-Loisirs like iplayer? Can you tell me how to access it. I like to watch French tv with my husband but find if it gets too late I fall asleep. Same for him with English tv I think so something like this would be great.

Second question, I’ve got subtitles in English on English tv, how do I do the same for French tv? Then I would miss less of the story.

I use it as a TV guide. Most French TV programmes can be watched on replay online, use a Google to search.
To get French subtitles on my TV I simply press the subtitle button on my remote and choose from the list of options. To see if a programme is avaliable in VO I press the LANG button.

1 Like

Guns and Roses very soppy.

How come no-one has mentioned George Gently…and Judge John Deed… :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Not into ‘box -sets’ but we’ve got about 250+ films on dvd.

I like a wide range of stuff - When Harry Met Sally, The Godfather, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Schindler’s List, The Third Man, any Ealing comedy.

We go to the cinema a lot here and it’s much cheaper than the UK, have got four films lined up this month starting with Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Hello Helen

I have one of those Orange boxes that you mentioned. The 50€ is a deposit which will be refunded if you give the box back. We don’t pay for any channels so we just get the freely available ones. Included in the package is Sky News, BBC World, CNN, France 24 (in English) and several other English language news channels. Nothing else in English although there is the occasional VO film or TV program, sometimes with French subtitles. These are hard to find though.

My favourites are

Bridget Jones Diary
The Vicar of Dibley
Anything with Ricky Gervais
All Creatures Great and Small
Life on Mars
Les Miserables - film and anniversary show
The Truman Show
Titanic

yes, you have to watch out with the boxed sets… sometimes they contain episodes we have already got… grrrrr

Luther …DCI Banks…George Gently …The Tudors…White Queen…Wire in the blood …Murder in Mind (all 3 series)
Frost…Cracker…Not going out…The Worst Week of My Life …May to December…Line of Duty…Fools ‘n’ Horses
Catherine Cookson…Downton Abbey…Vera…Harold and Maude…Vicar of Dibley…Shirley Valentine
La famille Bélier…Quand le chat dors…La cage aux folles (1978)…Intouchables…Bienvenue chez les ch’tis…Le diner de cons…Django …Les aventures de Rabbi Jacob (not sure that would pass the pc these days but I find it funny).
Lots more too but better stop there. Haven’t even listed my favourite music DVD’s :wink:

1 Like

Game of thrones, Breaking bad. Loads of box sets on Netflix.
Comedy - Monty pythons Life of Brian
War - Apocalypse now
Bond - Skyfall, Goldeneye

We have a tiny collection of dvds and rarely play them but if I had to pick just one it would be The Shining.

Silent Running and anything with Wallace and Grommit.

If we’d bought The Silence of the Lambs on dvd, it wouldn’t have mattered that the recording we watched last night failed half way through…aarh