What are your thoughts? - Brit denied French Nationality (citizenship)

I’m surprised anyone thinks there are any moral implications in living with a girlfriend, even if not yet formally divorced from a previous marriage. I’ve done this myself.
When my current wife and I married - second time for both of us - among the guests were our 4 children, then aged between 10 and 21.

Thanks Stella - Was it pre or post the awful night BJ was elected?

Only a couple of weeks ago… which is why I have been confident enough to quote them. They were very clear…

1 Like

oh, and over 2 years into the process and I’m still not French yet, Jane. The whole process took a great effort to get all the paperwork together, and significant expense getting everything officially translated but the rules are the rules and that’s what will be applied. In my case I hope/have been told that I should hear this spring/summer if all goes well.

But as with the bloke in the article, if for whatever reason the State were to decide otherwise, I’d be well upset, wooldn’t understand why and would have to wait another 11 years when it will be my right (17 years to 65 in this bloke’s case). But neitehr of us can be kicked out as we both have French kids and more than 10 years in France (although that does have to be 10 years "above the radar…!) :smiley:

Oups, I’m at work and not the best skim reader, and skim reading between customers, I thought it was a general “who and why” question so I retract my reply but leave the article for all those who want more info on reasons people are refused :wink:

1 Like

I wasn’t saying I think there are moral implications in living with somebody, good grief.
And I have no idea what standards France sets for model citizens. But if there is a marriage that isn’t tidily finished off with a divorce before starting a new family, they mightn’t like it much. A lot of people do it but not all of them are applying for citizenship and thus offering their lives for inspection.
But, there are obviously certain personal complications in the background that may or may not be relevant. Is there alimony to be paid to an ex, who’s maybe even gone back to the UK, how many children is he supporting? Looks like he is potentially supporting five children and two women and that’ll need a decent stable income.

1 Like

@Geof_Cox

He didn’t say it, he (@RicePudding , not whateverhisnameis who is throwing his toys out of his cot) referred to these cases:

Plazac doesn’t seem to be a Brit ghetto but it does seem to be one of those places where the French are in a minority. It’s proud of the fact that just about every nationality is represented. And nearly half the properties are holiday homes. Again, would being integrated into such a multinational community carry any less weight than being integrated into a typical French village, probably not but va savoir.

2 Likes

Probably not - at any rate he does not seem to be complaining that the publicity is against his will.

On reflection I am not wholly sure the petition will further his cause, whoever’s idea it was.

I’ve been to Plazac several times, a Brit publisher we know rents a gite there most years. It’s certainly not a British ghetto, our friends have said several times that they like being the only Brits in the village. It’s a pretty sleepy place with a beautiful church that attracts visitors but I’ve never been aware of it having many holiday homes owned by non-French families. Perhaps they tend to have out of town properties in the commune.
I am seeing my friend in just over a week, I will show him this thread and see if he has any knowledge to share. He might not be up to date because when he and his wife stayed in the area in 2019 their usual gite was not available and they stayed in a different village.

Etc
It certainly looks a lovely place.
And just about every time it’s mentioned it’s referred to as the town with 25,/ 27 / 30 nationalities. Seems to be its usp.

I’ve no doubt it is. My observation was that it doesn’t feel like some of the other Dordogne towns that have say a large British or Dutch community. In those you hear as much of the second language as French. Plazac seems ‘French’ but perhaps that’s because with so many nationalities the only common language is French. The town itself is really quite compact. It is lovely.

1 Like

I have a friend who was born in France. His family emigrated when he was a young boy and renounced french citizenship to take up another citizenship. He returned to France with his young family in the late 90’s and has been living and working here since. His children have reached 18 and have taken French nationality. He is an artist, and doesn’t earn much, but does a lot of volunteer work in prisons on anti-extremist programmes so is also an upstanding and integrated member of the community. He has been refused nationality too… Sounds the same doesn’t it?

But some missing facts. He and his children are survivors of the Benthala Massacre, and he is officially an asylum seeker. So on nationality matters you can’t jump to conclusions until you know the full story.

4 Likes

Whatever we think of M Lawrence at least he won’t have voted to Leave (though we don’t know his sympathies we do know he would not have had a UK vote having lived in France for more than 15 years).

The pair of Leave voters described in this BBC article however…

…do not deserve French citizenship.

From that article;
“England is my home,” Karen explained. "Deep down, I’m British. But to live here, for a better way of life for my daughter, I would become French, yes. "
How gracious of her to accept citizenship just to keep France happy, even though she doesn’t really want it.

It says they came here to run kennels. When you’ve run a business here for a long time it gets to be kneejerk reaction to check out the registration of people you come across who claim to be running a business. As far as I can see, nobody of that name currently has a kennels business registered, in fact nobody of that name living in Eymet has any kind of business registered…

1 Like

Well, it’s always possible that they came over to open a kennel and just haven’t quite got round to it - the article does not claim they are currently running a business as far as I can see.

Also it seems that they have had a change of heart regarding their Leave vote - at least Howard has

But I hope that they are not running a business on the black - that might not be so good for that eventual citizenship application.

Indeed. They better get their skates on though.
Where’s old Harry when you need him? He knows all about how long it takes to get a kennels set up… I liked Harry.

3 Likes

:+1:

I’ve read somewhere else they live in Lauzan in Lot et Garonne.

In that case I take it all back and apologise, she is registered.
Thought it said Eymet in the article :roll_eyes: