What are your top 3 tunes?

Ha Kent. You’d get on well with my mate in Confolens. Bruno Torres, professional luthier to some quite famous faces.

Juliette-the four pennies

question- the moody blues

born to be wild-steppenwolf

There’s a million of ‘em. So difficult to choose; it depends on the mood of the day. Here’s the ones that popped into mind today:

“The last time I saw Richard”, Joni Mitchell. Some might regard this as “girly music” but it expresses a place where most of us have been - and if you haven’t; you haven’t really lived. I didn’t really latch onto it until I heard it repeated in the play “One for the road” - the tale of a man feeling trapped in his sold-out, compromised life. It’s beautifully sung by Mrs Mitchell, with her simple but haunting piano accompaniment. Not easy to sing: I’ve tried it - only on my own, of course, driving my van - it is, after all, a girl song…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igj20M84hbo

“Since I’ve been loving you” Led Zeppelin. A classic blues that’s not really a blues. When playing this at the birthday party of my genius, classical musician friend, Martin, he moaned, “Oh no! Not Led Zeppelin? How Banal!”

I said, “Hey, Martin, you read all the dotted stuff as fast as it’s played, don’t you? Could you have a look at this Zep book and tell me if he’s actually playing it as it’s scored or is it just BS?”

He took the book and, for a change, actually listened whist the song played. Half way through the solo we could see his jaw start to drop and his eyes open wide. He was staring ahead speechlessly at the end.

“Jimmy’s no fool, is he?” I said. He shook his head. A new Zep convert…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tUHmHaa2Mg

“Call it a loan” Jackson Browne & David Lindley. A gentle ballad for those folks who think they can get away with a quick fling and pay no price for it. What they forget is that it’s another person that’s knotted up in that tangle of hearts. I’m sure that many of us have gone there and got more than we bargained for.

It’s the song that inspired me to make/modify the little guitarolin that’s in my profile pic’ to emulate the sounds David gets from his mandola.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Lt6vKE4Zs

Billy Joel - Leningrad

Nana Mouscouri - The Rose

Julio Iglesias & Kenny Rogers - To all the girls I've loved before.

There are many more, but three is enough

Blimey, yes Norman some top stuff there !

The Ride of the Valkyries has popped into my head too !

Sounds perfectly normal to me Keith. I'm very similar though probably more eclectic and even open to some of the modern stuff plus a great passion for almost anything classical. I have a couple of Muddy Waters 33s which i'm now able to start playing again thanks to the gift of a music deck from my lad. Live at Newport and The London Sessions featuring the amazing Rory Gallagher. I have a Robert Johnson too.All good stuff !

Operatic tunes must come into the reckoning I would think so why not something like 'Pourquoi me reveiller' from Werther or The Death of Isolde from Wagner for example ? Can't think of many better tunes !

Hotel California The Eagles

Wuthering Heights. Kate Bush

Wish you were here. Pink Floyd

But hey, three is no way near enough!!!!!!!

Una Furtiva Lagrima (Donizetti - L'Elisir d'Amore)

Chante du Rossignol (Grothe) - and by Sylvia Geszty

Au Fond du Temple Saint (Bizet - The Pearl Fishers)

I could have added another twenty or so operatic arias that move me deeply.

God gave rockandroll to you- Argent, not Kiss
Kashmir - Led zep
Shine on you crazy diamond- Pink floyd

good morning Peter...

I listen to anything except Rap / Techno / Garage / House / Bungalow.

My love is Delta Blues. But also listen to a lot of opera. Sumi Jo, Sutherland, Callas. Georgiou.

The Shows....Musicals.....lots of 70's Rock.......Becaud, Piaf, Trenet.

its very confused.

What kind of music do you usually listen to Keith ?

A tune I guess is something you can sing along or whistle to so that rules out most of the music I listen to so....

Moon River.......Henry Mancini

Georgia On My Mind.......Ray Charles.

Bird on a Wire.....Joe Cocker.

I had to toss a coin for the Ray Charles track between "Georgia" and "But You Dont Know Me"

U2 : I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Free/Bad Company

Alright now

Hendrix

Hey Joe

Otis Redding

My girl

Blimey Nico that's imposssible to say !

So many beautiful tunes (rather than songs) over the decades.

Bruce Springsteen - The River

Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams

Commodores - Night Shift

Here's That Rainy Day

All The Things You Are

Autumn Leaves

(the tunes rather than the songs though)

If you're a jazzer, you'll know what I mean.