What Brexit Could Mean For Us Expats

Extract from ECREU document;

The truth is, no one knows – it all depends on the outcome of negotiations by our politicians.

What we do know, is that most of our rights and privileges as expat citizens living in the EU only exist by virtue of the UK’s membership. The following is an outline of some rights you enjoy within the EU which many consider are now at risk.

It is very important to note that we are not suggesting that they will all automatically cease after Brexit.

It does depend on those negotiations, which is why ECREU was formed – to make sure your expat citizen rights are at the top of the negotiator’s lists of priorities.

Read this;

https://www.ecreu.com/expat-rights.html

2 Likes

Already a member James.

So Jane this means that in order to get health cover in France we will have to carry on operating
gites and chambres d hote forever…till the day we day.

Because of Brexit.

Barbara, please do some proper research into PUMA to see what health cover you are entitled to.

Not sure if you understand my remark to Jane in conjunction with this article.
Will Puma be able to answer questions which have not reached resolution with the entire
situation/treaty with UK and Brexit.

Barbara, as I understand it you are suggesting that you will not be able to survive without working if your S1 cover is withdrawn. I’m pointing out that as a long standing French resident you do not have to rely on the UK, PUMA will offer you an affordable alternative. France values retirement and does not expect anyone to work themselves into their grave.

No, it means that the Brits have to offer the same as the EU.

Does it? I thought that it meant the UK and all EU states have to offer certain basic rights as a minimum.
If the UK or any other EU countries want to offer more, surely they can.

I am totally confused! I understand how to stay alive but none of this.

dont worry at the moment, the Brexit is not signed and we could go through other changes around the law Brexit before the final signatures.:thinking:

1 Like

feel for you. Its a very troubling time for everyone and honestly hope we ge a solution soon so we can all work out what we need to do if anything.

Well a lady should never tell her age.
But I am sure than J and I could end up being the Jagger and Tina Turner of the hospitality
industry.
Wish I could still dance the way I once could.
But it is hard for most of us.

1 Like

Barbara because you’ve been active in France, France is your competent state as far as EU law goes and you would be entitled to healthcare anyway and wouldn’t get a UK S1 so I don’t see how it affects you?

David, I agree about PUMa - I’m not sure why this keeps getting repeated about needing private healthcare. I’m sure I’ve seen people from the US and Canada write about joining PUMa as inactives so I don’t know why people assume that we British as third country nationals would be treated any differently.

1 Like

I find it worrying when people worry about things that are not worth worrying about. That’s a lot of worrying in one place. Like you have pointed out I can’t understand why posters like Barbara and Jane worry so much about what England may not be able to provide for them after Brexit yet ignore what France, the country where they are resident and have an income, has to offer in support.
The people who I believe need to make sure that they have all bases covered are those who are hoping to make a last minute dash to establish residency in France; especially those who are relying on establishing one non earning partner in France while the breadwinner, their financial hub, continues living in their family home in the U.K.

5 Likes

Thread crossover, but another illustration of why getting your French up to speed puts you in a better position to cope. A lot of the worry comes from being unsure of how things work in France, which in turn probably comes from not being able to easily take advantage of all the information that’s made accessible and clear by the French government, analysed and explained in the French media, etc.

2 Likes

A lady should never give away her age…except on legal forms.
But I can see that J and I will end up the Jagger and Tina Turner of the French
hospitality industry.
Not sure if I can still dance like I once could but I still enjoy my work.
No not easy for most of us.
I am sure that plenty of people will still want to have their dogs taken
care of…we all need a change of scenery.

How will Brexit affect my ability to buy goods outside of my country of residence.?
How will Bexit affect the change to inheritence rules that the UK did not sign up to?
I think this publication is full of false information to scare people into signing up to their agenda.
I am a retired UK citizen resident in France and voted NO to Brexit but totally disagree with all this unsubstanciated scaremongering.

3 Likes

I don’t think people in that situation have much to worry about either, David. In the event of no deal, they’d lose the S1 presently given to them as dependants of a UK worker (it’s not even clear whether they’d keep that with the current deal as it seems to be only pensioner’s S1s that are mentioned) but as long as they can prove that they have sufficient resources they’d be able to join PUMa - though I’m not sure how their financial contribution would be worked out. On the spouse’s whole income or based on a maintenance amount paid to them?

The people who are really in an ambiguous position and need to sort it out are those who aren’t ‘lawfully resident’ here according to EU rules. People who haven’t really registered as being here, joined the healthcare system or made a tax return. Also people who have done all that but are inactive and don’t realise they haven’t met the EU minimum income requirements so that stops them from being considered legally resident.

France doesn’t register us here or check our status until we do things like apply to join PUMa as an inactive (without an S1) or claim child benefit or a means tested benefit. So someone with an S1 and no dependant children could live here at the moment with no problems but if we all have to have residence cards in future, the lawful residence criteria will be checked. If you aren’t working and can’t prove you’ve had 5 years at the right income level and registered for healthcare then you won’t get a permanent residence card. If your current income is ok then you should get the temporary one but that means maintaining that income for five years, before getting the permanent card.

One thing that’s surprised me since the referendum result is the amount of people that aren’t in a ‘regular and stable’ position as per the EU residence criteria. Not that this is brexit’s fault as people should check the rules before moving to another country, but just as the UK hasn’t followed the rules in the past (and is now trying to enforce them retrospectively and using the permanant residence card as a means of doing so), France, though not as lax as the UK in that they don’t usually allow people to become a burden upon the state if they’re not active, have let a lot of us live here whilst not correctly ‘exercising treaty rights’.

A vulnerable group are pensioners, who may not have realised when they came here, perhaps a few years (but not 5) before state pension age, that the income requirements increase after age 65.

It’s not scaremongering to advise people to check their situation against the current rules and make sure they are lawfully resident - and if not, do their best to do something about it before the potential exit day (I’m still not convinced it’s going to happen, personally).

4 Likes

Me too…
Not sure that it is going to happen actually.
It seems to be going no where and then back again.

3 Likes

Theresa May is calling for registration, which, so far as I was aware, the EU in the first rounds were not.