What Brexit means to me

If he’d have said this sooner, Jane wouldn’t have worried so much.:grinning:

It is one the consequences of Brexit.

Anything that helps is welcome.
The power of thought is very strong.

complete panic? No it’s not.

2 Likes

In 1990s I ‘emigrated’ to US, boy they know how to make life complicated. Basically you need a company to sponsor you, i.e. they have to advertise that they need someone with a specific skillset. I they ‘not find’ one, they are allowed to import one from abroad. And of course there are ways to overcome these rules.
Once you are settled, work, apartment, tax registration ( you have to report ALL taxable income you have from all countries) you are ready : if your boss says jump, you ask yes, boss, how high?

This until you, if you are lucky get the green card, then when boss asks to to jump, you can say : yeah, yeah, how high. Your work permit is tied to a company, if they fire you, you have to quickly find another company who is willing to hire you and ’ sponsor’ you. This might mean you have to move to another state, uproot you kids, sell your house etc, etc.

I found Germany more humanistic towards me as an immigrant 20 years earlier.

Buy the way, I am a US citizen now … :roll_eyes:

So once again, EU rules are so humane to us regular guys.

1 Like

@anon57071659 admits “Buy (Freudian slip?) the way, I’m a US citizen now…”

I always had you marked as a very exotic and beautifully plumed creature, with extraordinarily humane philosophical tendencies, but an American as well? Mooligrundled! :upside_down_face::flushed:

:exploding_head: Well, I am on my third citizenship, and I escaped from , drumroll… Texas of all places. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Third because I started emigrating before EU. :+1:

1 Like

Peter, it was the same difficulties for us when we emigrated to France, also in the 90’s. We had to say we were retired, in order to even get a 1year carte de séjour (doesn’t allow you to work). Hubby was only 50 at the time. We had to renew this visa every year for 10 years, finally receiving a 10 year carte de résident , which needs to be renewed every 10 years (we were then allowed to work, but didn’t need to, anymore).

Anyway, I don’t have a whole lot of sympathy for Brits, in this respect. If the Brexit thing is somehow reversed, I think the EU should insist on the UK switching to the euro, at least. I always found that irritating.

2 Likes

If the UK revokes A50 then it’s membership continues as is, ie no Euro and lots of vetoes.

If we leave though there will be no going back in (for a generation at least) as it would mean  the €, no vetoes and Schengen as well.

Those facts are also never highlighted in the Brexit debate which is surprising given Scotland’s desire to stay in/get back into Europe.

in 80’s when I called our office in London, they replied:“John? he is cashing a check, he should be back in a couple of hours”. Maybe the Banking system in UK has improved but still in 90’s I had to search for a bank that would change foreign currency to pounds.
I see a lot of comments by people sending to-and-from UK, what a hazzle.

Back in the day most High Street Banks (the big 4) had a Foreign Till… where you could order foreign currency or take foreign currency or foreign travellers cheques and get it all exchanged for sterling … so did many Travel Agents.

I used to take 2+ hours to take the cash/cheques and pay it into the company bank account… and/or get the wages… but I had to drive to the nearest town to do so. In London, particularly, most things take time… I had a wonderful spell working in the Park Lane branch … nobody rushed… :wink::hugs:

1972 I had eurochecks. I did not need to exchange money in DE FR B … anytime of the day. Uk felt a bit backwards. Just a little. :wink:

Aha… yes, I remember a lot of folk had trouble with Eurocheques… after a while, folk were better advised to use Travellers Cheques or international credit cards… :thinking: not just UK, France and Italy had problems, as far as I recall… Germany seemed keen to use them… :thinking: They were an oddball thing… no reason why they should replace Travellers Cheques which everyone seemed pleased to see… :wink:

Tried to use Eurocheques in France in the early '80s - did not work at all.

Absolutely nothing wrong with our beer.

I Agree.

I lived in Germany and traveled every third weekend or so to neighbouring countries, no problems at all with Eurochecks.

Unless it’s warm :beer::beer::beer::beer: