What Brexit means to me

Well, they did give problems to many folk, presumably that is one of the reasons they were eventually dropped…

We never used them ourselves as we had heard horror stories from friends… we used TChqs and/ or whatever foreign currency applied…

They were replaced by creditcards.
I paid in restaurant and such, directly charging my bankaccount, just like creditcards. No fees, no need to figure out how much,…
Also, who would buy traveller checks for a one day trip? :roll_eyes:

Ah… for a one-day trip (to France) we took francs… and for a long-weekend in Majorca we took pesetas… the family always had some of both to hand… plus could always exchange currency on the boat or at the airport…

anything longer and we took T/Cs as well as currency… didn’t like credit cards and only used them very sparingly and never abroad, to avoid fees.

You probably had cheques drawn on a German bank - IIRC standard German bank cheques at at the time were “Eurocheques” as well.

I had Eurocheques drawn on a UK bank.

We tried them on a trip down through France into Italy (with the original plan of perhaps coming back through Austria and Germany) - we managed to get cash against them at some banks and post offices but always with much suspicion and checking with head office. I don’t think we ever got a hotel, restaurant or shop to accept them.

Shortly after I tried again on a business trip to Germany having heard that use was widespread there - the message was clear, not drawn on a German bank = not accepted.

Yes I had German account. Sounds like UK was not really integrated.

Not much changed then…:thinking:

1 Like

No, I think it was just that the cheques that I had were unfamiliar to the people that I was trying to get to accept them. Vendors just said no, banks eventually accepted them but only after much checking.

Any fiat money is only as good as the degree to which it is recognised and accepted - and my experience was that Eurocheques drawn on a UK bank in the mid 1980’s were neither.

1 Like

Peter… the point was… the UK eurocheques were not easily accepted in France etc … so not UK’s fault… :roll_eyes:

Years ago I was in Cornwall and was handed a Clydesdale banknote. I thought it was a scam or something. I was told it was legit and any bank would change it to English pounds. I don’t remember if I had problems using it in a store or not.

Anyway, I had no idea that you have in UK banknotes issued by several ‘banks’.

try getting a London taxi driver to accept a Scottish fiver. That was always an interesting conversation and once involved me having to be driven to a cashpoint to get ‘real’ money instead to pay him!

1 Like

Scottish notes are used as a means of payment in Scotland, but (I believe) not considered legal tender in other parts of the UK…

@Peter_Juselius… you were in receipt of a note issued by a bank in a different country… :roll_eyes::relaxed:

Quite a subtle difference between what is accepted currency and what is legal tender

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender

1 Like

That sounds so UK bank/money System to me :grin: , almost like using UK Eurochecks then … :laughing:
Why this complicated system? Is it so you have a reason to fight for? :thinking: :smiley:

Before visiting UK, where can I read up on these peculiarities? Asking for a turist-friend of mine …

Peter… all you have to do is use Google… the info is all out there… :thinking:

Dave, I’m not sure harking back to how it was before '73 is an accurate indication of how it will be again, nearly fifty years later. It’s seems about as relevant to me as the much loved Donna Reed show would be in Trump’s USA. We live in a very different World now, closer to Orwell and Huxley visions than ever before.

Sandy, IMO there is no “project fear”, it’s just more Brexiteer soundbite lies to dismiss genuine and widly held concerns. The only thing the portenders of doom and gloom got wrong that I can see is the timing. I doubt that anybody working in the UK car industry believes in project fear anymore. Nor those working in Airbus, or the City. As for those folk you know who are living in fear, where did they get such silly ideas from? I’ve seen nothing, anywhere, in any media that would lead anyone to expect that. I would suggest they are perhaps victims of self inflicted project ignorance.

1 Like

well there’s lies and rumours abounding all over the place. These Remain friends are convinced that they will be evicted on Saturday … now where did they get that from, I have no idea as I’ve seen nothing in the media either. No use talking sense to them. But I like your phrase “self inflicted project ignorance” which sums it up perfectly.

1 Like

I was thinking of all tourist visiting UK, do you really mean they should find out stuff like that? I don’t think there are many countries with such a monetary System.

I have watched a fair amount of tourist/travel programs, read travel magazines and I cannot recollect anything about the banknotes in UK.

If anyone has, please let me know!

p.s. I am not bitching about it, more of a perverse interest. :relaxed:

Peter… I’m not sure if you are joking or not… UK has always used sterling currency… bank notes and coins since heaven knows when… foreign visitors do not seem to have any trouble sorting out their currency requirements.