What could possibly go wrong?

I read this morning that one can now dematerialise your French driving licence and carry it around on your phone…

Edit: Original link didn’t work (thanks Fleur)

I couldn’t get the midilibre link to work Mark, but here’s another link…
https://www.largus.fr/actualite-automobile/nouveau-permis-de-conduire-dematerialise-comment-l-obtenir-en-3-etapes-30032125.html

According to my reading of the Service Publique website, one has to have a carte d’identité to register for the ‘virtual’ permis. I couldn’t find any reference to those of us who only hold a carte/ titre de sejour.

You are right, however, apparently later in the year there will be other methods available.

That wasn’t quite what I had in mind when I chose the thread’s title, but your point certainly fits well.

Was thinking back to carrying a paper Covid vax cert as back-up for those times when the digital one didn’t work.

Watched the report on this on the journal the night before last. Its not compulsory to put your permis on a smartphone as not everyone has one but it is for making it easier if stopped, the police can check if you do not have the paper version with you. It did mention you can also do your ID card but obviously it did not mention CDS holders as we are a minority.