What do you drive?

A RAV 4, and an ancient Saxo, for me to go to Super U :slightly_smiling_face:
But it’s looking increasingly likely, that will be going towards a new Dacia Stepway, I will keep the Rav for venturing out for t’ shoppin’, and a beer :wink:

I’d never heard of them, their story on wiki is interesting and I’d love one of these
 the sporty version.

ERAD_Midget_at_Emirates_National_Auto_Museum

2 Likes

Beautiful :+1:
I had the pleasure of driving my mates Aston DBS V8 for a few years, it’s in Switzerland now.
When I win the lottery, I will find it and make the guy an offer he can’t refuse :slightly_smiling_face:

[My first personally-owned wheels] (https://goo.gl/images/ZL4ZeU) was this beauty for which a friend of mine and I paid £10 in - 1956 in a back street in Homerton, London E9. Same colour, might even be the same car but I can’t remember the registration number. It didn’t come with a log book, or a cap on the oil filler pipe.

We neither registered it in our names, nor taxed it nor did we insure it. We just drove it and our girlfriends round the East End, and occasionally ‘up west’ for a lark.

One night we were pulled over in Whitehall by a police car. We had no licences either, but we both had college scarves and didn’t speak like East End oiks, so the policemen waved us politely on our way with the traditional “Mind how you go, Sir!” salutation. Strange but absolutely true. In those days “breeding” mattered, and the police knew better than to bother two young men minding their own priviliged business In Town Tonight (anyone remember that?)

Every word of this sorry story is pukka. :grin::ok_hand:

Pete

3 Likes

No need to be sorry, you managed to hurt nobody, I was 11 then, not alotta traffic then Pete, My first 4 wheeler was my MorrIs 1000 van, ‘passion wagon’ :rofl:

Re posh accent, a mate told me.
He was stopped (after a long chase), on his Bike, doing 120mph, the cop, when he heard his posh accent, apologised for holding him up, so sorry Sir,
Barrf :unamused:

1 Like

Hmm, Bill. Have attitudes changed with passage of time? Plus ça change, plus c’est la mĂȘme chose
 an old French epigram (1849, Journal ‘Les GuĂȘpes’) .

Mind how you go, Sir
 :bouquet::grin::bouquet:

1 Like

I drive a 2002 BMW 330 coupe - petrol. Its does about 1k miles a year but its been an enjoyable car which I’ve had for 11 years hoping to keep it for a while yet. Maxed out the clocks on the autobahns (well my brother did) a couple of years ago.

My wife has a vauxhall meriva from 2014 - its been a great car and very cheap to buy pre registered. Great with the dog in the back.

My daughter has a Citroen C3 - in that powder baby blue colour - panoramic roof which I found out today needs replacing and isnt covered by her insurance - a snip at ÂŁ650 for the new glass - I could have done without the expense tbh.

1 Like

Must admit, my B in L could afford an Alfa, but apparently, not the cost of driving lessons, or insurance.
'Till Dad taught him to drive.
For my Sisters sake, I imagine :thinking:

Not one of them Dave, I would be so embarressed, to be seen in a ‘Beamer’ :rofl: all the oddball drivers, mind you.
You are being equalled by new, recent, Audi owners :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Its old enough to remove me from the “normal” demographic. I even stop at zebra crossings.

2 Likes

‘Tis Dave, first time in a BMW must have been about ‘69, I was sailing/crewing, on the Scottish West Coast, with a friend, a Doctor, we travelled up to the the boat in His BM every Fri’ back On Sun’, I recall, an impressive motor car, compared to me wee Mini :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

69 eh
t’was the year of my birth. The BMW is mechanically good but suffers with rust. Its had two new wings but now flies! Its been to Scotland, Germany a few times, France quite a few times - chews the motorway miles up.

Everything I’ve spent has been on the bodywork and wheel refurbs.

Everyone has to own at least one original mini or at least drive one. I bought one for 400 pounds bit of a 1 year car and sluggish with auto and 1 litre engine.

2 Likes

So, nobbut a wee Pup Dave, (wish I was again).
You’re just a couple a years older than my Wife :slightly_smiling_face:
Rust, ‘ah weel’, nothin’ lasts for iver, I’ve a new hip to prove the point, good bit of renovation, here in France, by my Moroccan Surgeon, sadly, now retired, but well deserved!!!

1 Like

Currently, I drive a BMW M4 Gran Coupe - provided by my boss - identical to the one in the picture. It’s OK for journeys up to a couple of hours but I wouldnt like to drive it to the South of France in one stretch:

For all our journeys into Europe, we use the motorhome. We have had this one for 10 years now and will be bringing it with us when we move over full time:

Another that will definitely be coming with us will be the Daimler:

But I dont know what to do with the Twingo we have here in the UK. This is Flo’s car but she hates driving and hasnt used it in the UK at all. I imported it about 4 years ago from Aix where her son was using it, converted the lights etc. and registered it on UK plates and it has just sat on our driveway ever since. I really dont want to have to take it back to France!!!

I wont drive it!!! What I would like as a ‘daily driver’ at our house in Carmaux is this!!!

peugeot-604_100369020_l

Rare as rocking horse droppings in the UK but there are still a few about in France.

4 Likes

T’is barf-worthy, Bill, bit I’m serious about ‘nothing changes’ . The old class system hasn’t changed its spots in a century, it’s still a canker at the heart of British society, and the main reason why I live in France.

Everybody in UK regards themselves as Middle Class these days, poor boobs! The middle class has disappeared, the category has as much modern significance today as the Cretacean Period in pre-history, or Piltdown man. The Middle Class is a consumerist myth, spun by the purveyors of gobbledegook like “aspiration”, “the gap year”, the unpaid “internship”, and “the property ladder”.

Don’t get me started! I was enjoying the chat about cars, cooking and wasps! :joy:C

1 Like

And the Peugeot should have the wheel on the ‘right’ side if you get one here Carl :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Don’t get stung Pete! :wink:

Incidentally, anyone interested in Cars should visit the Motor Museum at Loheac 35, between Redon and Rennes, wonderfull collection of motors :+1:

2 Likes

Add sabbatical to your list as that’s what I’m calling my upcoming adventure.

1 Like

Thanks David, I was just beginning to recover from my rant, and ‘sabbatical’ has set me back a bit. :face_with_thermometer:

What are you resting from, may one ask tentatively? :roll_eyes:

1 Like