What do you drive?

I can’t change my wheels, I haven’t got a pneumatic wheel undoer thing so I would have to wait for the breakdown people.

1 Like

Ever since my Golf was stuck for five days after getting a puncture near Tours I’ve carried one of my winter wheels in the boot as a spare. Compressors are all very well in theory but are useless when a tyre is damaged. It took five days to source a replacement tyre. Luckily I had good breakdown assistance cover and finished my journey even if the car didn’t.

Problem with on-the-spot wheel-change is not so much how to do it but is it safe to do it: soft or uneven verges, passing traffic, poor visibilty etc.

There could be times when DIY was the only alternative, but personally I would rather wait for assistance at a safe distance than be road-kill.

2 Likes

I can change wheels and have done so often in the past, but I now choose not to!
My Citroen Berlingo would be a pain in the backside to change the wheel as it’s located under the car, great planning there, as was my Fiat Doblo !
Before anyone asks why did I buy my Citroen it was for one reason only… I could load mum’s wheelchair in the back without needing to fold it down and remove the wheels, and without needing help ! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

A spare wheel isn’t required by law Ann and it’s an optional extra on a lot of cars now. Some even a choice between a full size one, a space saver or none. I ticked the box for a premium stereo on the Tiguan I bought last year (God know’s why) and the Bass speaker replaced the spare wheel. They gave me a cylinder of tyre repair gunge instead.

As John says it isn’t actually a legal requirement (in the UK anyway) so manufacturers save on their own costs by not supplying one and making you pay extra.

It’s a bit of a trade off - not having anything means calling someone out which could take hours, having the squirty can of gunk might get you going but not always in which case see my previous point. Even if it gets you going the tyre folk generally won’t touch the result with a barge-pole as far as repair is concerned so you’re looking at pretty much being guaranteed to have to buy a new tyre if you use the stuff.

1 Like

I’ve had two punctures in 12 years in my Golf and both times the tyre was damaged to the point that the compressor would not have been able to inflate it let alone a spray can. The first time I was opposite a Roady the second time was less convenient.

Probably two tyres Paul to keep the tread the same on the “axel”.

1 Like

I did change a tyre about three years ago but the two cars I use most now don’t have spares so if I get unlucky I’ll just call insurance company assistance.

1 Like

here are mine1466701528427

1 Like

:+1: Spacious :slightly_smiling_face:

The green job really looks a lot of fun. Driving anything that gives you the feel of being in contact with the road is a unique pleasure. In many vehicles the feeling is of sliding noiselessly along a greased tube. :disappointed:

In the “green job” my main concern would be, not to make contact with anything, other than the road. :thinking:

1 Like

:scream::rotating_light::construction::ambulance::hospital::face_with_head_bandage:

2 Likes

:rofl:

We saw the car [ voiturette] under a bush in the yard outside a partly abandoned garage in 2005,
we eventually went back after our house was rebuilt and made an offer and brought it home.
the body is not painted, gell coat self coloured, everything was seized, it took two years to get everything working, was homologated via FFVE, although it has been used for holidays the brakes have to be re-furbished.
The lights are all LEDs etc, FWD 50cc Motobecane 99Z which has a contra piston has the effect of compressing the charges.
The method of driving is foot to the floor everywhere as it takes such a long time to build up speed, in a holiday situation other drivers give us perfect respect and smile.

6 Likes

That looks very tidy.

a few more all mine.

2 Likes

Is that a Hillman Imp on the end? My first car…(coupe version)

Always flog a couple to make some euros Barry :wink:

2 Likes