What happens if the UK leaves the EU?

Vic- the AA has always been rather more exotic than some of the other architectural schools!

Seems to be a crazy system where the results are meaningless. Either they are at B2 for languages or they aren't. No wonder it's a nightmare trying to teach all levels in the same class.

Theo, this is not currently the case. I've done a lot of research as I'll be applying later next year. You must sit a Language test, not a culture test. You need a minimum of B1 to be acceptable.The test most often used is the TFI oral section only. I passed this for naturalisation a few months ago with a B2. You may well be asked additional questions at an interview much later at the Prefecture but this is quite separate. You must prove language competency BEFORE you apply as you must supply the document at the time of your application.

"High" David? Would that be up yer Ivory Towers? Only joking, most of the architects I did business with were quite grounded ;-)

My children's Bac subjects consisted of about 10 subjects including history, philosophy and French literature. I think Véronique that Bac pupils need to be a bit more than "hardly fluent" to even tackle those in French ! Both my wife and I are pretty fluent and I wouldn't fancy taking the Bac…!

Wise words, Eamon.

Many years ago during the worst of the troubles I suppose, my friend Declan from NI said leave a pound note and a crate of free beer on the Republic side of the border and not many people would be left up there. Must have happened because he lives well within the Republic nowadays.

Here's the man who worked for that :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV2gzXhz8o8

I'm from England but would dearly love the residents of Northern Ireland to be forcibly integrated into the Irish state.

Could revive the reiving :)

Aye man!

There might even be a Northumbrian one too :)

Not having been to either of those establishments I of course bow to you both! At the Architectural Association most were dysclitec (sic) anyway or were too high to care.

Once you start the "naturalisation" process they will send you a address and date where to go for the language test. It is not that difficult: a bit about history, political system, unique traditions, cultural issues, all very basic and as Brian writes, it takes one hour. When you live over 10 years in a country I simply think its fair to take over also the rules and responsibilities of the country with all advantages and disadvantages for legal reasons.

Yep, those toffs with their punts up the Isis just simply don't know nuffink!

It's cognisant or cognizant. Fowler/Gower suggests that the accepted form at both CUP and OUP is the Z form. Similarly recognize/recognise and so on. I seem to remember the dénouement of an episode of "Morse" turned on this differentiation. Morse explaining to Lewis that no-one educated at Oxford could ever use the -ise form and thus the evidential letter could not have been written by its purported author.

Not at all

Not sure where, but some Dutch people did it very locally, certainly not the prefecture which is about an hour drive each way for them and they both did it within an hour!

One is Irish and one doesn’t give a toss if the UK stays in our out :slight_smile: At least if they leave it’ll be an end to the constant whinging. Oh, and by the way, they can take Northern Ireland with them. Another bunch of whingers who only survive through UK funding.

Que jamais...