What happens if the UK leaves the EU?

Debra, forget this opinions in expat "newspapers"! They are not even worth to be considered. And I can imagine how much a sentimental British soul may suffer ;-)... If you're here in France for over 15 years you just apply for French citizenship. What is the problem do commit? The empire had gone decades ago the relics you feed in Buckingham... Just let Franage and the sweet little boy go into coalition and let them fight some more wars against caliphs and this sort self created rag-tag gangs. Face the fact that you can't fight "clever" nationalists. These smart guys will even get rid of the rest of UK's entrepreneurs. (They even managed to kill leading e-car manufacturer MODEC).

Thanks to the bail outs the upper-house frogs lost to those shuffling their profits, they have been gaining in the UK, to India and Pakistan. (Which is just a back clash of the Lady's famous privatisation ideas 30 to 40 years ago.) If you don't want to apply for French citizenship I wish you good luck getting at least this amount you've paid into the French retirement scheme once UK is not a EU member any more.

Now if there was a "Like" button I would have clicked on it with your reply.

Thank you, I will watch this space.

By the time it happens, which I doubt will be ever, perhaps the UK will have split up and I shall proudly parade my Scots EU passport :-D

I didn't actually say that I was Irish: I think I said "if one was Irish".

And as your more knowing members will recall, people born in Northern Ireland have a right to both British and Irish passports.

So Ian, No, we won't be as affected as the rest of the UK citizens: we shall have the option of taking our Irish passports and staying within the EU.

What, not at B2 in FRENCH ?? I very much doubt it.

They may very well not be at B2 in their foreign languages because it is the average out of 20 over about 11 subjects, taking into account the coéfficients, plus the options which counts for getting the Bac - eg you can compensate for a 4 in LV1 with a 16 in history... (For mod langs, if they get 20 they are at B2 or above, someone who gets 16 in their LV1 is at B1, someone who gets 10 is at A2... plenty of them aren't even that far along)

Plus ça change...

So much of the UK economy is fuelled by debt, compared the rest of the EU, that I suspect that the EU won't be too sorry to see the UK go, if it does, simply because it is at risk of implosion and nobody else wants to have to bail it out. The vociferous lack of good will towards the EU in the UK press doesn't help either. The UK actually does well out of the EU but this is never, ever mentioned.

They are waffling...

Absolutely spot-on Eamon!

I agree entirely Eamon.

Not to mention describing oranges.

Thanks John. That is something we may well consider in the future. Watch this space!

I agree totally. We are rather bright, aren’t we? :slight_smile:

Here, here Catharine!

I read the posts most days but do not necessarily feel the need to reply. However, have you ever considered putting a "Like/Dislike" (as per Facebook) button next to each comment as sometimes I find myself agreeing with a comment or not as the case maybe and a quick click of a button would show others that their posts do or do not resonate?

Before anyone says, I do know that there is not a "dislike" button on FB but hopefully you understand my thought process.

Thanks for a great site.

There was a good bit of information in the Telegraph which is not a newspaper I normally read, it basically pointed out that removing benefits from EU migrants would not significantly reduce Britains 200 billion benefit bill http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11255425/How-much-do-immigrants-really-claim-in-benefits.html

There is NO party that advocates that Debra, not even the Greens. So there will no government to do have the will to do that despite it being so obvious. However, it would take away 'profits' from those who pay people and a lot has been said about the wealthy minority that we need not go over again.

I for one are very worried ... being an offical French resident since 1976

Slainte! Good chatting guys but all this talk of drinking is making me thirsty so I have to and have some...tea! talk soon.

*clinks pints*

Brown envelopes too !

Same brewery as the 'Nepotism is good for you' slogan perhaps ;-)