What Has Been Your Most Successful Crop this Autumn?

In the Auvergne, at 600m asl, exposed to the north wind. If we plant tomatoes before mid-May, they die of frost/cold. We tried several years in a row, and gave up, and now just let the ones from previous years reseed and regrow at their own pace, which means nothing before end-September, beginning October.

EDIT - we’ve found that cherry tomatoes can be grown with some limited success.

We are very exposed to the west wind here at 420m.
Not so harsh as yourselves, but it can cause problems.
The heat in our serre was up to 50 degrees at the height of the heatwave.

We’re over 700m, and can’t have a greenhouse as snow would squash it unless it was built like crystal palace. They don’t go out until after the Saints de Glace in May but crop ok, so I wonder whether it’s an issue with the varieties you are choosing? Need something super-precoce. (I was promised a frame to cover them up in bad weather for my birthday…still waiting)

1 Like

I’m not so concerned about them that I feel motivated enough to go and hunt some early varieties :rofl:
W’ve thought about a greenhouse for a while, but I didn’t factor in snowfall, which although distinctly on the decrease over the past few years, has a tendency to dump a ton, then freeze down to minus 14 or so over the top. My biggest concerns with a greenhouse would be expansion / contraction of the frame due to amplitudes of temperature - we can top 30 degree swings in temperature in a day no problem.

2 Likes

Yes! Can easily manage removing 4 layers of clothing in a day! An awful lot of things just can’t take the temperature fluctuation -like cheap roof tiles…and fancy vegetables.

Our serre is guaranteed to stand up to the weather on the Scottish Islands.

How much snow do they have in the Highlands?

I think it depends whereabouts you are.

To be honest, I don’t really keep a record. I was a bit bunged up a couple of days ago, so when that was resolved it seemed fartly successful.

I find chillies help with the loosening process.

Possibly TMI

1 Like

Figs, purple and green have done really well this year. Plums were so-so, apples ok, pears ok, nashi ok, almonds good, hazelnuts good, quinces ok, medlars ok, cherries bof, brugnons and peaches rubbish, no apricots at all, lemons good, kumquats good, tangerines good, pomegranates mediocre and I haven’t looked properly at the persimmons.
Good currants red and white but not black, good blackberries, grapes ok, good raspberries.

3 Likes

When do you open your shop Vero?

2 Likes

I seem to be feeding us and all the surrounding wild animals - lots and lots of dormouse badger and wild boar activity :heart:

3 Likes

For us it’s the pears. Our corner of Calvados rarely sees ample sunshine to ripen them to their best. This year has been worth the wait. The Precoce de Trévoux were the first, followed by Laxtons superb, which rarely even crops at all. Just now its my favourite - Fondant d’Automne, and the Beurre Superfin look promising.
The most promising apples are Adam’s Pearmain and Nonpareil, the latter again benefitting from a warmer season.
Vegetables: Rocket, Mizuna, Chicory, and curly Kale…Outdoor toms suffered blight as usual, but en Serre have been fab, along with the basil and parsley.

2 Likes

We love almonds and I looked into it but thought it was not the right climate here so that is wonderful to hear that you have one. Where did you get it from?

Sausages to go with apple sauce!

The figs here are delicious this year and for some reason fewer hornets and wasps eating them. Not at all unusual that the figs are all eaten by the insects. But this year I pop out before meals to grab a few without fear

I am drooling reading the lists of lovely things so many of you grow. Magnificent Our problem every year is come the first two weeks of august husband has booked his holiday and when we come back everything is parched and brown. Still the tomatoes seem resilient. In this area roses and tomatoes seem outstanding in all the gardens I see. And I do like a nice tomato salad!!

Because all the wasps are on my fruit trees…I counted 12 crawling out of an apple the other day.

1 Like

I make a red salad with tomatoes, beetroot and red pepper and dress it with olive oil, velours de balsamic , salt and pepper.
Yummy!

2 Likes

Rhubarb and strawberries. Made rhubarb chutney today to help use it all up.

1 Like