What has the European Convention on Human Rights ever done for us?

Hilarious !

Brilliant!

Brilliant also but please, please give me a link so that I can put it on various Euro-sceptic web sites and blogs.

Thanks

Peter S

If you click on the "Youtube" logo at the bottom right, you go to YouTube to watch that video and you have the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptfmAY6M6aA

Rights are innate (natural, inalienable).

They are not given to people by legislation, government, or supranational committee.

Rights should certainly be recognised by all, but they do not evaporate should a government or 'convention' recognising them cease to exist. Nor can rights be created by incorrect recognition.

Of course, legislatures do pretend to create rights, more properly termed 'privileges', but then it is a weakness of legislators to corrupt law in their own interests.

It is a ruse of a forward thinking government, to insinuate in the minds of its citizens (the few still having an inkling as to what rights are) that their rights are created or granted by charter (such as the ECHR), in order to later annul those rights, or derogate from them, by revoking or modifying the charter.

Wow I'm grateful for the Video, as I didn't know that 'fair trials in the UK' and all the rest of it, didn't exist before the ECHR (1953).

I'm ashamed of my ignorance that slavery (to do with the UK) was finished by the ECHR, as I was under the impression that William Wilberforce stopped it. Clearly my Teachers many years ago were lying. Think I'll go and vandalise his statue, obviously he was a fraud.

Unfortunately, not funny at all but a load of crap as totally inaccurate. My wife paraded this in to me on her phone and said 'you'll find this really funny' [as I studied law for 5 years!]. Sorry my friends, it is crap as it is so inaccurate. It ignores the English Common Law. Let's start with Slavery. Abolished by the Act of Parliament, " The Slavery Abolition Act 1833 (citation 3 & 4 Will. IV c. 73) was an 1833 Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom abolishing slavery throughout the British Empire (with the exceptions "of the Territories in the Possession of the East India Company," the "Island of Ceylon," and "the Island of Saint Helena"; the exceptions were eliminated in 1843). The Act was repealed in 1998 as part of a wider rationalization of English statute law, but later anti-slavery legislation". 1998 being the year that Labour brought in the Human Rights Act.

So NO, Tony Marwood, the ECHR did not end Slavery in the UK. No you are not ignorant, you were right.

The right to a fair trial? "In the UK, the right to a fair trial has developed over centuries, and originally derived from sources such as the Magna Carta, the 1689 Bill of Rights and the common law."

Need I carry on ? the key to all this is codified law (as in France) vs. the Common Law (in the UK).