What is happening to boulangère

Harry’s, disgusting stuff. It should not be called bread.

1 Like

Makes good summer pudding tho’!

Not as good as the white bread in our Panasonic.

Yes, I guess we could make it but are slaves to the sourdough mother so never make white bread :frowning:

Lidls white is much, much better than Harry’s!

Never shopped at Lidls…

They have some good stuff.

2 Likes

I agree with Peter, a lot of the food is excellent quality, far better than some of the ‘regular’ supermarkets. Their organic stuff is well priced and good (I particularly like their organic milk). It isn’t always cheaper but shopping there overall is cheaper than elsewhere for often better quality, both food and things like toilet paper.

1 Like

I always found sliced white bread way too sweet in France. The closest to the UK version of white sliced bread is a brand called Toastaligne who do white, complete and seeded. For a committed toast lover like me it was the best (least sweet) sliced white I ever found and I tried most of them. A traditional boule from a boulangerie was great if I could find a dense one but, of course, they have to be eaten the same day even as toast.
Izzy x

I was the same until I found the Lidl one, it isn’t sweet at all and a good size (not like the small pain de mie), pretty much identical to the UK stuff I think, and very well priced (less than a euro).

In that case I guess they must have changed the recipe in the last few years as I found the Lidl bread too sweet just like all the others. Pleased you have found one that you like.
Izzy x

They have a range called ‘Reflets de France’ which is excellent. Plus, some of their kitchen and bathroom stuff is good quality.

1 Like

Lidl near us have just started doing GF pasta, vegan ice real and ham without nitrates,…

Some Lidls stores are old / scruffy /tired /dingy. So not the most inviting places to shop. Ours, in contrast, is bright / airy / brand new. So it’s a pleasure to shop there. OH loves their pain de compagne. Their linen summer wear is excellent and I’ve a very smart swimming costume of theirs I’ve been using this summer. I’ve a couple of great cordless branch loppers at a very good price. At Christmas their de luxe range is excellent and that’s when we buy things like large salt grinders with pink Himalayan salt, small packs of different honeys (ideal for guests in the gite), special spiced biscuits and cakes. The one frustration - they don’t have everything we need (but then of course their limited range is how they keep their prices down) so it just means a trip to Lidl and Leclerc (fortunately they are close).

2 Likes

Ohhh I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for that.

I’ve always had to do that too, Lidl then a pop to Super U or Intermarche, all in the same area so not a big deal. I’m going to try doing the Super U drive to limit an extra shop I think.

Nearest Lidl is 40km+…so no matter how good it is we are unlikely to use it often.

Oh, forgot to mention. They do really good quality/good value wines.

2 Likes

We only make it for summer pudding.

Ahhh fair enough! worth a visit if you are near there though!

the other thing I remembered which we always stock up on is thier peanut butter (during ‘American week’ normally) and their various wraps are good too, and far cheaper than elsewhere! I now also use their day and night cream and find it excellent (when I remember to use it!).

Peanut butter!!! buerk, buerk, buerk!