What is happening to boulangère

NOOOOOOO yum yum! Especially in satay sauce!

3 Likes

or in un-buttered factory bread sandwiches with Heinz Salad Cream (Yes this is probably only me).

Try delicious DAKATINE French peanut butter made in Strasbourg for the last many decades. The best for satay sauce various other dishes and pb biscuits.

Never spotted that one, I’ll have a look! I have just generally found French PB to be really expensive for a tiny jar and sometimes a strange texture!

Errrrrggghhhhhh yep, only you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, there are 3 sorts of PB -
the one for the exotic recipe market (dakatine) which is delicious and available most places;
the one for pretending to be American and encouraging diabetes so eg PB marshmallows and chocolate spread mixed as a tasty trio;
and finally the one for the knit-your-own-sandals-out-of-yoghurt brigade which is hideously expensive and a weird texture and flavour.

1 Like

@vero your multilingual creativity and versatility knows no bounds! I’m challenged to come up with a hyphen-free Teutonic translation of your own gleeful construction, for your appraisal…

Die eigeneausdemjoghurtgestrickene Sandalbrigade

Though that implies that the brigade itself rather than the sandals were knitted of yoghurt, that can’t be right, can it ? :thinking::cry:

1 Like

Really good artisan bakers in the Pays Basque

1 Like

A few villages close by have a ‘money-in-the-slot’ bread dispenser - baguettes and more - and the quality is surprisingly good. No boulangeries in walking (or cycling) distance and so these dispensers are indispensable.

There is/was one in Limoges which I used once about ten years ago after having visited my missus hospital late at night. Yes, the bread was pretty good.

Our local fromagerie now has one for cheese - their proper compté not industrial stuff. Makes me laugh as where else would it be likely for people to need to source emergency cheese at midnight (pre-curfew of course). :grinning:

1 Like

I grew up in a small village in the Stroud valleys, Amberley; it had its own bakery run by the father of a friend. When Garfield Weston “perfected” his sliced bread my friend’s father said it was “water standing on end”.
When we moved back to the UK from France I knew we would miss the bread, and not even Waitrose seems to furnish a decent affordable loaf. However, I have discovered a sourdough bloomer in Lidl’s which is pretty good. Yes, I know it’s industriel, but it’s the best loaf I have found here. We have no bakeries anywhere near.

What about Hobbs House bakery in Dursley, Ronald - if you are still in the Stroud district of course!

A bit of a trek, we are near Swindon!

Just had a look at their website. I’d have to sell a kidney!

Yes but it is excellent bread :rofl:

Our local bakery is appalling, if you buy a baguette at 8 in the morning by 12 noon you can knock nails in with it.
As its the only bakery for maybe 20 kms crap bread ensues. However on asking around I found out that the baker who closed his bakery now works in the Auchan in Apt, a trip there to check it out followed, bread is done on the premises quality ,range and price much better then the local garbage.
Before writing off the supermarket bread have a little think about where all those closed bakery staff have gone to

Well ordinary baguettes are specifically made to be eater fairly instantly. That is what they are for, and it is not uncommon for people to buy bread twice a day if they want bread at every meal. If you spend an extra 5 centimes on a baguette tradition they will last to the next morning.

Check that your supermarket bread does not have added preservatives in it. Anything that is called a boulangerie can’t include additives, but things called (eg) the “Four du Mamie” can.

1 Like

Buying a baguette on the way to work to eat at lunchtime its not to much to ask that it is eatable.
I know that you don’t mean it ,but try not to be so condescending.

1 Like

What is ´ condescending ´ in the post ?

1 Like