What is the etiquette here?

Chime!

If it’s an oldish door you could try knocking the pins out of the hinges so you can take the door out of the frame and replace the lock/handle combo easily. Just a thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Stella,

No…can’t open the door at all !!! Have removed the handle and tried turning the mechanism with a screwdriver etc. etc. to no avail. So unfortunately can’t get to the bar strip thing!!

Blast… are the hinges get-at-able?? or is it all hidden/internal ??

Sounding more and more like you might need a professional… :thinking:

Had something similar on one of our gite doors years ago. I had to drill a hole where one of the multi point lock things are (we have 3 identical doors so I could work out where), stick a screwdriver in the hole and manually move the sliding bar. I think I was lucky as it worked, it was the handle mechanism, not the lock. If it’s the lock you might have to drill the barrel out too. Can you tell if its the lock, the handle or the multi point locking mechanism?

A blast of WD40 and a credit card? Works for burglars…

:star_struck::sunglasses::grin: not sure it does on these 5-point thingies… :zipper_mouth_face::persevere:

Ding ding

Sorry, couldn’t resist!!

1 Like

Had a delivery of fuel last week, I was handed a bottle of red wine along with the bill, first time that has happened.
Maybe it’s in sympathy over Brexit ! :grin:
What’s more when I went in to pay it a few days later I was handed a biro as a gift :astonished:

1 Like

We saw another neighbour today. I said I was worried that thewoodman had spent several hours mending our door with my husband and should we have paid him something.
Non, non. It’s service. He replied.
So I’m happy about that anyway.

3 Likes

You’re settling in nicely… :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

It is definitely the multipoint locking mechanism !!! The handle and lock work fine………just won’t shift the bar !!

I have a feeling it is going to be a very expensive locksmith ! Do you think it might be covered on insurance ?

How old is the door… and did you buy it… ??

re Insurance… check your insurance policy… lost keys are covered on mine, but not broken lock/mechanism… unless caused by burglars etc…

If it helps ours was stuck locked. Our woodman drilled the lock and then had to cut the five points to get the bar out. The new locking mechanism was €115. for everything.
We were fortunate that our woodman fitted the new bar and did a jolly good job, all for nothing.
If you have to pay for all this i would think it going to be at least €200. for parts and labour.
Some may remember we had the lock fixed last September and just the labour was €80. Also 2 months later it broke completely.

Hi Stella,
Thank you for the reply.
The door is 10 years old and we bought it new.

Any one know a good burglar ???

1 Like

Has it dropped? I think ours has and the locking points were slightly out.

Not sure……………will check it in the daylight.

How long was the guarantee… 5/10/15 years ?? just a thought…

10…ran out last August !!!

Just asked my husband , the turning point in the barrel was broken. So the key was turning but the mechanism wasnt working.

Thats so frustrating.