What is the etiquette here?

Might sound silly but have you tried asking at your local DIY store, they can sometimes point you in the direction of a ‘chap who can do this’.
Locally we have some’ multi service people’ who are reasonable and who leave their cards in the supermarkets.
Our insurance even have cards like this in their office !

1 Like

I would give him a bottle of Scotch . The French love it as an apero.

2 Likes

The door lock thing sounds as though it is a case where accepting that “getting someone in” - preferably a locksmith will cost quite a bit, but is still likely to be the cheapest option.

Googling around this subject it seems that the gearbox which connects the handles to the multipoint mechanism is a common failure point - easy enough to replace (for about the £100 mark) if the door is open. Rather harder if it is in the locked position.

Going for the hinge pins sounds the best/least damaging idea - otherwise I’m not sure I can see a way out of this conundrum which doesn’t sacrifice either the door or the frame. But then that’s why you get a locksmith in - they will know if it is possible to save the door and/or frame.

Is the door uPVC or wood?

Is there enough space between the door and frame to get an angle grinder disk in and cut through the bolts?

That’s what our guy had to do. He used a disc cutter to go through each bolt. Our door would have been very heavy to remove at the hinges, not an easy option.

hahahahaha best comment on this topic !

Ha - remembered this thread when faced with a similar situation yesterday.

The mortice latch on the kitchen door failed with the door closed - no way to open it; fortunately the outside door from the kitchen and the house front door were unlocked at the time so we weren’t locked out of any part of the house.

Had to cut the tops off the pins and pull them out of the hinges and get the door out/open that way.

1 Like

A Dick Strawbridge special then :rofl: