What is Vierzon like?

Hi folks,
Can anybody tell me about Vierzon (Cher - Dept.18), such as:
What are/were your experiences living there or visiting?
What’s it like culturally, shopping, public transport, architecturally/aesthetically?
Busy? Lively?
What’s it like weatherwise in winter?
Easy difficult to drive around? Parking?
I see from Wiki that the population has dropped from 32k in 1990 to about 25k today. Is this indicative of economic decline? Are there lots of empty shops etc?
Crime-wise? (Can’t find anything on-line).
Anything really.
Ta in advance.

No useful info (apart from it is or was a major noeud ferroviaire) but it is mentioned here, in the first line :notes:
https://youtu.be/tVKWiseNGUU

1 Like

I’ve not been to Vierzon itself (although funnily enough last year I had some interviews at a company whose manufacturing hub is in the town). However earlier this summer I went to the Berry region for the first time… all I can say is it’s very rural. There was very little to do - which I appreciate is perhaps appealing for some people.

We were closer to Châteauroux and Le Châtre, so things in Vierzon may be better. Even driving there just seemed very… dull. The landscape is flat so you can see for miles (sadly there’s little to see!). It perhaps didn’t help that we drove through beautiful Dordogne to get there :wink:

The one thing that I did notice, however, is how cheap property is there compared to here in 33. I suspect there’s a reason for that though.

Edit to add: forgot to say that we didn’t notice any crime whatsoever whilst we were there, and it felt a very safe place to be during the day and evening.

There’s this…

Skimmed it heading north and south many times, but all I can tell you is that there is a large Super U on the north side with the cheapest fuel between there and Perigueux, and a routier restaurant, called La Grotte, on the road between it and the autoroute where I have frequently dined and overnighted with great pleasure. :joy:

Thanks folks :slight_smile:

I only ever drive through on the motorway, but have stopped a couple of times just off the A75 to fill up with petrol or grab some lunch, and have even overnighted once in a motel also just off the A75. Like many towns in that area, there doesn’t seem to be a great deal going on, and it is known nationally as one of a few provincial towns in serious commercial decline.