What makes some ex-pats so arrogant?

@ Steve - you've never had a serious accident YET Steve. Then it will be too late and you will have ruined countless lives including your own and those close to you.

Same as when I´ve had a few pints, just drive slowly and concentrate, I´ve never had a serious accident.

Not pathetic, it’s just another case where particular members are blinkered and others have a different point of view. A bit like real life really.

LOL - Brian, 'pathetic' doesn't even come close ! :-)

Ahhh - I'm a bit slow this morning. I hadn't realised this is a wind-up - well done!

Isn't this getting a bit pathetic? Something over 65% of the cars produced in the world are LHD for RHT. In Europe only Cyprus, Ireland, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey, Malta and UK are RHT. Cyprus and Malta have both considered changing because they have far more LHD cars than RHD with imports of used cars from nearby countries. Only 75 out of 198 countries in the world are actually LHT. Relative to where one is the advantages such as eeing round bends, kerbs and so on might well be, but the critical view held of people with LHD or only with Km on the clock on permanent imports in the UK makes it all rather contradictory. The bottom line is in all cases whether people are properly registering their vehicles and having the checks such as CT or MOT done in conformity with regulation where they live and having things that are legally required by owners in that country generally. To boot, are the cars properly insured, which is very important. The rest of it is a whole set of arguments that can go round in circles for eternity and never begin to achieve anything. As with all driving, we jump into a large amount of metal that is far more fragile than we imagine that is balanced on rubber that is similarly frail and then hurl the blasted thing about as though we are perfectly immune to all possible accidents, breakdowns and so on. Actually, it is up to each individual.

When I had my driving test in 1966 one thing I remember. The examiner was so obviously ex-military with that kind of mentality one expected of such people back then. He probably had the same line for every young driver he tested which was to tell me that every young driver who goes on the road is the best driver there has ever been who can go faster and take more risks without harm than anybody else. As they get older they slow down a bit although some never learn. Some drivers actually do improve, many stay about the same but some get worse with time. That cocktail is let loose on the road with a bit of paper that allows them to do that for the rest of their life unless a magistrate intervenes... Words to that effect, a lecture I did not want because I was actually the best ever 18 year old on the road and really could get unbelievable speeds out of my little Austin whilst doing the most unbelievable things without coming to harm. If only he knew. Looking back on him, he was right as boringly as he said it. I am not saying my driving is good, perfect or whatever and that if I see 50 I do 50 and such things. What I am acknowledging is that we get in our lump of metal and rubber, join the mass of similar lumps and take our chances. Ultimately it is us, not the lump we are propelling wherever and however.

So what is the real point of this continuing debate other than a good imitation of a kitten that spots its tail then runs in circles following it for hours on end! So there.

Not only are you closer to the edge of the road so tucked in but in an ideal position to see further around Left Hand bends and watching your vanishing point

'As Catherine points out, a RHD can be very useful when judging the edge of the road....'

Ok - I think I'm entering the Twighlight Zone. I suggest all RHD car owners in the UK are immediately issued with LHD cars so they can better judge the edge of the road. Much safer .....

Barking...almost like some kind of weird denial.......

I thought the dangerous pedestrians were the ones with their trolleys, standing in the middle of the rows of supermarket parking bays or shopping aisles, perhaps they were practising for the streets outside Brian!

quite right John. I drove from Herault to Le Mans Nord 3 times in 5 weeks in 2013, in my RHD and at tolls just did as you said, and at no time did I ever hear a motorist hoot as queue grew a little while I walked round to the booth to collect my ticket or pay at any of the tolls enroute. I just felt concious of holding traffic up longer than if I’d been in a LHD vehicle - that was my only concern though!

Pity i live close to Toulouse

I would think that, in the overall picture, the number of RHD cars that use autoroute toll booths is too small to be relevant. When you factor in the fact that most tourist cars have someone sitting in the passenger seat the number who find the toll booths inconvenient becomes smaller still. Not really worth making a fuss about.

That’s a good idea and wouldn’t cost too much. (of course I meant no correlation in my earlier post.).

Exactly. So why couldn't there be a card / coin slot on either side of at least one tower to cater for RHD as well as LHD. There shouldn't be that many cars filing through past that one dual tower. It would save people running around the car if they haven't got a ticket thingy (technical term).

Relax, or as my daughter would say “chill” Simon :slight_smile:

Get a beeper and it doesn’t matter :-)Petrol pumps are actually configured for right or left fillers (which, of course, has correlation with where the steering wheel is) but there is enough slack in the hose if you don’t mind streching over and scratching your paintwork.

Simon, It’s not more dangerous if one is any sort of a competent driver, so maybe just conceed that. As Catherine points out, a RHD can be very useful when judging the edge of the road as some LHD loony drifts around a tight corner squeezing you on a narrow road. Regarding autoroute toll booths, all one needs is a beeper, no cost and no worries. The dangers of hopping out of a car at a car park entrance are, I would argue, negligible.

Surprising actually - if they can configure petrol pumps to work for either right or left hand fuel tanks, why not toll booths?

Answers on a postcard to Mr Tollman, He wot be in charge, the design team ...

Stick with us mate - any forum needs different personalities and points of view. My ideas are similar to yours in many ways but I try to adapt my modus operandi so as not to sound too arrogant or objectional. I usually get away with it but occasionally get caught out !

Catharine is the gaffer and so is allowed certain priveleges so all members have to accept that if we want to participate.

I'm not always the most popular contributor with the powers that be but I do try to not push my luck too far....

Wonderful John - all sorted and so clever. No RHD motorway toll booths here in the South West though. I guess you're talking about Calais or one of the other channel ports ......