What makes some ex-pats so arrogant?

There are very many toll booths now for RHD cars not every toll admittedly but at least when there aren't it gives a chance to stretch your legs getting out and walking around the car and back or train the wife to open the window and its just like having a LHD but without the controls. We had it sorted on the bike pull up wife pulled out the ticket stuck it in her glove next toll out with ticket and card done in 15 seconds until one day a gendarme jumped out tapped the speedo and wagged his finger,who me osifer, never done over 30 onest .As for over taking drop back look up the inside then you should be far enough back to see around the vehicle on the outside and no you don't need to be half a mile back

I wish I could Peter but to be honest I'm feeling pretty brow beaten by Catharine who I believe (?) runs SFN. Every time I express a view that differs to the 'popular norm' I get pulled up and / or pilloried à volonté and without comment.

If my face doesn't fit SFN then I'm quite happy for my account to be deleted (again!).

This topic has already gone way, way off-piste and I'm finding it nearly impossible to follow so time to leave. :-(

Yup agreed guys! I drive a lot - about 40 000 km a year and the places people are prepared to overtake in never fail to astound me, very often in underpowered cars. Scary stuff.

Could we now consider dangerous pedestrians? You know, the ones who do things like maybe the long lost friend they haven't seen for all of 40 minutes in the middle of the road then go into a conversation that cuts them off from the rest of existence, including cars who are trying to drive along that road but are too polite (stupid?) to blast their horn! Then there are the ones who step off a pavement without looking about four metres away from a crossing where they at least have right of way. Then... Anyway, what about them? They deserve the same amount of consideration.

Are there Téléportage badges to beam them up, away or wherever?

I managed to get the badge via Carglass a few months back who were offering a two-year free subscription for every windscreen replaced. It's a great service and makes entering and leaving the motorways a doddle. I would recommend a badge to anyone RHD & LHD.

No one is ridiculing you Simon - take the comments in the spirit in which I think they are being offered.

Personally I find overtaking much more dangerous in a slow car than a RHD one.

I totally agree. when we had our land-cruiser I just didn't overtake anything unless I had to. It may have had a 4.2ltr engine and a 'Turbo' badge but FAST it was NOT.

Personally I find overtaking much more dangerous in a slow car than a RHD one.

When I lived in the UK I drove an American truck so I sat on the wrong side and because I could not be arsed with importing something like that I bought a RHD truck when I moved.

It seems that where ever I live I am sitting on the wrong side and to be honest it never crosses my mind. Yes I have to get out of the car at toll booths but I can't say that ever bothered me.

Overtaking? Nah, I rarely overtake anything.

@ Catharine

If it's your intention to ridicule just about everything I post then congratulations - job done. Although I suspect ALL RHD car drivers on SFN have a Télépéage badge. I've got one and I'm only a LHD car driver!!

For those interested you can get them here : http://www.vinci-autoroutes.com/fr/page/nos-formules-telepeage

If anyone reading this IS worried about the "danger" of getting out of their car at a motorway toll booth, I can highly recommend a 'clacker' or badge.

This means that you can sail through in your RHD with no problem. They even have special 30kph lanes reserved for badge users. Saves a lot of time and hassle queuing whether you have a LHD or RHD. And you can use them in some carparks too. Bonza!

(And tbh, if you're not capable of getting out of your car in a carpark without injuring yourself, you probably shouldn't be on the road!)

No one has said that there are not any downsides to driving a RHD car in Europe but having downsides is poles apart from being dangerous.

@ Catharine.

As you've asked (although it's now getting very boring) - I know it's more dangerous simply because, for me (!), it felt more dangerous - especially when overtaking as I didn't always have a clear view. No other variables. That's how I felt, it didn't feel comfortable. If it does for you and others - great, very pleased for you.

As for ticket machines Catharine - my point (obviously missed) is that it can be dangerous to have to get out of a car to go around the other side to get a ticket - be it motorway tolls, parking machines - whatever.

Just trying to highlight some possible downsides of using a RHD car in a LHD country - that's all. I gather from the reactions to my posts (including yours) that RHD car drivers living in France encounter no such issues. Must just have been me then......

Simon, I haven’t stated that I wouldn’t overtake in the UK and likewise here in France, just that it would be wise to use more caution. There is far less traffic here,and therefore less need to overtake,and what’s the hurry anyway. Daft?.. not really.
This is a simple topic and healthy debate is about different points of view. Nobody has the right to assume they have the definitive answer. That means not you or me.

@ Simon.

I used the word 'suspect' so please don't accuse me of saying something I haven't. How can you possibly say you 'know' it is more dangerous? There are simply far too many variables!

And the last time I checked ticket machines weren't dangerous!

Oh come on Catharine - I've driven RHD cars in France in the past and I hand on heart know for sure that it is more dangerous than driving a LHD car here - most specifically when overtaking and for that matter at toll booths / ticket machines etc.

Chris states that he wouldn't do it in the UK but that it doesn't matter here because there is less traffic where he lives. That's just plain daft.

As always Catharine - if you're not happy with my contributions then just close my account. You're right - it does get boring having to constantly defend my point of view. You've got no idea what the vast majority of people reading / posting think so do try and speak from 'I' - quite simple really.

There are times when you actually get a better view from a RHD car, for example when the road bends to the right and at some road junctions. If anything I am more cautious in my RHD car so that probably makes it safer. Catharine’s point about the height of the drivers seat is also relevant.

I’m merely suggesting that by driving a RHD car in France overtaking is not as easy…not impossible…just engage brain and concentrate,its hardly rocket science!

Oh come on Simon - you know perfectly well what Chris means.

I've driven both and we currently have one of each. No big deal. It depends how you drive and yes, sure, there are situations when being in a RHD makes it unsafe to overtake, so you know what, I don't do it. And I suspect that is probably true of the vast majority of people reading / posting. Quite simple really.

And it does depend on the car. My RHD people carrier and the Landy had / have much better visibility than my LHD Ford Fiesta.

I sometimes get the feeling that certain members will post anything, on any subject just to be argumentative. Gets a bit boring.

Ok got you Chris...so by that token it's safe to drive a RHD car in France so long as you don't have to overtake.....riiiiiight.....

ah Mark, I’d just Latched on to the “pull in and stop” words, hadn’t thought about it being in the middle of the road as You hadn’t said that! I’d As I leRnt to my cost in Court in Laval, when we Brits use the word ‘stop’ relative to whT we do with a vehicle we are in, it means ‘parked’ in France! I thought you hadn’t had room to get out of your alongside the kerb parking space. In light of the fact they were in the middle of the road, then yes of course I agree with all you have just written now - no excuse is good enough, unless it’s a vehicle breakdown! Teach me to read things at least twice and more carefully in future won’t it :slight_smile: