What medical cover are we entitled to?

WHAT EXACTLY IS THE SITUATION AS REGARDS MEDICAL COVER FOR RETIREES IN FRANCE?

WE HAVE RETIRED AND FINALLY FULFILLED OUR DREAM OF OWNING A HOME IN BRITTANY. THE PLAN IS TO SPEND SOME OF OUR TIME THERE, SOME TIME TRAVELLING AROUND EUROPE IN OUR CARAVAN AND SOME TIME IN THE WINTER DOING MAINTENANCE ON OUR HOLIDAY HOME IN CORNWALL, THIS IS RENTED OUT FOR THE SUMMER/AUTUMN.

WE HAVE BEEN TOLD VARIOUS THINGS BUT IT SEEMS IT HINGES ON THE LENGTH OF TIME WE ARE OUT OF THE UK, REGARDLESS OF WHY. AS WE PLANNED ON JUST COMING AND GOING AS WE PLEASED IT NEVER ENTERED OUT HEADS THAT THIS WOULD AFFECT EVERYTHING AND POSSIBLY OUR PENSION TOO? WE ARE NOT IN A POSITION FINANCIALLY TO TAKE OUT SEPARATE INSURANCE TOP UP COVER SO JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS HAD THIS SORT OF SITUATION AND FOUND A SENSIBLE SOLUTION?

Ouch! but has to be pointed out, many people just don't realise the difference between the NHS and the French system and they presume that once they've got their carte vitale that they're covered as in the uk. the most basic hospital cover can be had for as little as 10€ a month if you shop around, I have a middle of the road policy for 20€ a month. Yes it's yet another insurance to pay for but it's worth it for the peace of mind ;-)

Spoke to a friend last night who has been dealing with one of their friends who has been taken seriously ill with a liver problem. Someone who has lived here for years, however when husband upped and left she hadn't bothered to sort out healthcare - hmm, bill running at over 7000€ and counting!

we're about half that for 4 of us with the refuge mutualiste de l'aveyron but we're not covered for absolutely everything. 140€ for a couple seems very expensive!

We pay about 140€ a month for a family of 4 with AGF/Allianz for pretty good cover and they are supposed to be one of the more expensive, so 140 for a couple does seem expensive. It is also possible to buy just hospital cover if you want to keep the costs down.

Yes it can be expensive, but the lowest quote for 2 people we have ever had which covers everything is 139 e a month x 12 months is sometimes cheaper not to have insurance.

If the above people are not residents though they can claim every penny back on their EHIC card, before we became resident last year having a holiday home in France I had to have hospital treatment but sent in my forms to Newcastle icluding just the boxes with the price on them from the chemist and they refunded every penny.

If he is under the 9000e a year income and just a pensioner could he not try to get his medical cover for free by taking his tax return and E121 in to CPAM,

They update his Carte Vitale to show he doesn't have to pay when it is inserted into machine .Of course this only applies if on low income and they wouldn't be paying Habitation tax or TV licence eithet if the case.

But please if you know the name of the company doing top up insurance for 40e month please let me know.

I think it could be a little misleading to say consultant visits are free. Most people are charged for them one way or another; you are better reimbursed if your doctor refers you but it's only free in specific (and rare) cases.

Medication is not always reimbursed at 70% and if you don't declare a medicine traitant, reimbursement is significantly lower than 70%. Remember also, that it is 70% of the tarif conventionée, not 70% of the fee charged, whihc can make another huge difference - for example look at the reimbursement of glasses.

Ron is quite correct in pointing out that the reimbursement of 70% of a hospital stay still leaves a significant amount to pay out. My mutuelle is worth every penny and we're a very healthy family overall.

My brother in law fell and broke his back, they had no top up insurance. Hospitalisation costs €1200 a night. Yes, you get 70% back, but his 7 day hospital stay and painkillers, doctor and nurse visits, cost them over €2000.

Your choice to spend €40 a month on top-up insurances.

A friend of theirs broke a rib falling up the stairs.

Accidents do happen.

You first have to decide if you are going to be resident in France or class yourselves as having a holiday home here.

If you are travelling around Europe and still class yourselves as having permanent residency in England then your EHIC card from Newcastle in England will cover your medical costs abroad depending on that countries reciprical agreement.

If you are resident in France, you can take your paperwork to the Cpam and apply for a Carte Vital, for this you will will to take birth certificates marriage licences passports, the Carte Vital will cover both of you even if only 1 of you are of retirement age.

You will also need to get your E121 from Newcastle which covers you in all European countries as a retiree so you only pay the same as a resident of that country.

If you fill in your tax forms which if you are retired are quite simple as only 2 to do and any government pension is not included in the assessment, you may be able to claim Sante Complemare which entitles you to free health cover as your income is below the limit.

You must make sure though you let the tax office know on the forms that you have a E121 though.

At present we have not bothered with top up insurance as found we get 70% back on most things and any visit to a consultant I have had have been free, although this depends on who your Dr sends you to apparantly, also had to just have major work done at a dentist to which I got most of money back.

Dentists here can charge there own fees for the same work so shop around.

Hope this helps.

Everything will depend on where you are resident/pay your taxes/spend more than 183 days etc...!