What now? France has just had it's credit rating reduced from the top AAA* position, making it more expensive for it to borrow money. What are the ramifications of this

Good answer, mind you watch out for flying pyramids (Mayans apparently believed in them) and especially ones that use the words pyramid and investment in the same sentence! As for Armageddon, don't know Ireland that well, just about where is the place? Hahaha...

haha! us too...we had 3 children in 2 and a bit years...they are now all around 30...but boy..have they been an expensive hobby...wouldnt have it any other way...but scared of having grandkids...as I am sure, if the kids didnt bankrupt us...the grandkids will!

Hmm, the USA was down graded and exactly nothing happened, in fact their economy is now showing signs of interesting recovery.

The same will happen here.

I love the pessimists , they do love a good recession to predict Armageddon.

They fall into the end of the world category , along with the Mayan calendar believers.

doh! havent been able to play as having probs posting...not sure if its me or the site...assume its my computer..! but anyway....enjoying the debating...Brian...my liveliest debating group are a mix of Jews and Arabs..so believe me, I can debate with the best.....carry on...!!!

Not only is this lovely debating costing some of us money but now we have Catharine considering a word tax. Who says silence is precious - suddenly me for one!

Listen James, some of us DO NOT learn. After my son in 1971 and never again, the first of two was born in 2001! It seems strange to me, but perhaps the same for all of us, when I was free and single I always earned plenty of money and could live well, children arrived and work dried up too much and now... If it had been once, but both times!

((((;-)

You didn't slag St Cyp off, I think two of us were saying how much you would miss the place, no more than that. Like it or not, I always have to admit that for all of my Scots family from a few weeks old I was in Cologne because my father was stationed there until after I was seven and then he chose to take us all to London to earn his fortune and because his demobilisation took place just south of said city. So a lot of my younger years were spent in sarf London too, place where they play tennis for a couple of weeks a year. Because I was German speaking when I arrived just a few years after WW2 people labelled me as being of the enemy side, so I closely identified with familial roots rather than where we lived. Would never go back though. I actually like Cornwall very much, however you got exceptional weather for the time of year. It is a mild but windy and wet winter in that part of the world normally - just like it has been here this year as a matter of fact. However, it is all a long way off track and honestly I am happier taking my chances with France than with there, no more than that really. Mind you, British people do pull leg better than the French and I think we really have wound you up a bit too much today!

just cant understand why anyone pays cash....if we all paid above board....life would be generally cheaper for us all..

know what you're saying James ;-)

so is my husband...well..not a girl..but from Dulwich..via Canada! I used to go out with nice Jewish boys too.....despite being C of E...one of my Jewish beau's persuaded me to wear a Star of David he bought me..in case his parents asked!

I try to look at the overall package, my life as a whole here and what it was or would be if I was still in the UK and for me there's no choice - Jame's figure of 1600euros for child care (and others I've heard about) compared to 100 or so here in France for example - now that's a lot of restaurants per month, but a lot of baby sitters too!

Bon appétit !

* quickly returns frozen chicken she has just nicked from Intermarche and agrees*

(Sorry being flippant tonight but totally agree. Don't get me started on tax evasion. Especially those that drive red convertible porsche's (sp?) but yet 'make a loss' - Grrrr.

couldnt put my reply next to Andrews comment...but here goes...we go to Cornwall every January..prefer it out of season...yes the weather is usually crap...this time, happy days...it was great! we have noticed a change in attitude in Cornwall...much friendlier than at one time...no obvious animosity...which 20 years ago was palpable...St Cyp is legally in France.....! but we are well aware it is Catalonia....you would be hard pressed not to notice....the language is noticeably different....even the people are different (they look more Spanish and are a lot shorter!) but friendly....we love it there and wish we had bought our main house in that area...only downside is it dies a death in winter...having lived there for 6 months through an Autumn and Winter...most of the restaurants closed...two stayed open out of over a dozen...thats the difference too...in Porthleven...all the restaurants..well...bar one...remained open...we ate somewhere different every night...and we compared costs....sorry...I do compare...its what gives me information to make an informed decision....and its noticeably cheaper for us to eat our nightly there than in our hometown in the Dordogne...and much much cheaper than eating out in St Cyp...

I'm a sarf london girl but always used to go out with nice Jewish boys from GG. Happy times!

Not saying I was or am invoved in cash but had people asking to pay less for cash and could give you a list as long as my arm of people down in the south west (UK) who survive on cash but have mates here too who do the same...! no it's not right both in the UK or France but it exists in both countries ;-)

@ Carol ;-D

@ Catharine :-O

North West Catherine....Hendon to be precise...almost on the Golders Green boundaries...lovely place to grow up...have a 'baby brother' 15 years my junior...and used to take him to Hampstead Heath at the weekends to sail his toy boat....I return every 3 years or so for school reunions...havent lived there for 37 years...but could move back tomorrow...it hasnt changed so much in all that time...

Mmmm. Tax per post methinks. 10 c for 50 words? There has to be some way I can profit from this..... :)

Maybe I should be glad I havent got a job...at least I can debate without loss of earnings...by the way...my husband sends his thanks....he has far less 'debating' with me when I have you guys to play with!