What printer do you have?

I have no Windows machines, only OSX, Ubuntu and Android. Brother not so good for me then?

Horses for courses, as they say. I currently have a Kyocera and a Samsung MFP (fax/scan), both colour laser printers and both network enabled, but they are my business printers. One thing I always look for before I buy is multiple OS support - that has always been the bane of Brother, which puts the minimum of onboard operating system into its internal circuits and then leaves the rest to Windows, e.g. no or limited support for postscript, or PCL printer languages. This is a no-no for me with multiple OSes to print from, but I understand buying one if you remain in the Windows world.

Maybe it makes more sense to spend a little more and replace my stand alone scanner at the same time. Brother printers are doing well in the reviews I have seen today. This one especially

Is anyone else using a Brother Multi Function printer?

I bought a Canon Pixma about a month ago and I love it! It scans, copies and prints. Very good photo quality and the advantage is that the replacement cartridges, (black and multi colour) cost about 20€, (35€ if you buy Canon branded ones). I hven't yet had to replace either despite printing all the invitations and envelopes for the Mayor's vin d'honneur, (filigraine photo background).

The Canon printer is useful if you do not print regularly as the ink heads are not on the printer and therefore do not dry out and b*****r up your printer, (this happened to my Epson that remained in storage for about 6 months and therefore I had to throw it).

The Canon cost me 79€ from Centre Culterel in Tarbes and bonus points for me....it's Red!!!!! But that's probably a girly thing ;)

I have a Canon iP2600. I buy Canon because they sell their printers cheap in order to trap you into buying their criminally overpriced replacement cartridges. But I don't care about that, because I refill and reset the cartridges myself, which costs practically nothing. I must have a criminal mind, because I get enormous satisfaction from finding ways of getting round their built-in devices to prevent me doing this.

I don't like Canon much, but I guess all printer manufacturers are up to the same tricks. I particularly dislike the iP2600 - it has an enormous footprint, about twice that of the i350 I had previously without offering any noticeable advantage in print quality, though it is quieter. But I am going to run the bitch into the ground before I give any more money to those dirty crooks!

I like your customer service oriented approach Nick. What model is it?

Just spotted a Priceminister cookie, went in and found and it is on offer for €124.55 with free delivery. I had an offer lower, but that was end of last year so possibly not to be repeated.

That's the baby.

I have just had to ditch a (probably) perfectly repairable HP multifunction inkjet that was just over a year old. I decided to ditch it simply because I got so frustrated trying to get in touch with someone from HP to help me solve the problem I had with the printer.

At the end of the day, printers cost nearly nothing when compared to the cost of their consumables (which in my view are priced iniquitously high), if you use them as much as I do.

HP make neat products but their customer service is the worst.

So I set about researching the manufacturer of my next printer BASED ON WHO GAVE THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE. I found that BROTHER were the best in this respect. In spite of buying a product in France, I can use an online chat system to ask any technical questions I like about my product of a knowledgable and well-trained staff based in the UK and I can do this without charge even after my warranty has expired. This was literally not possible with HP. In fact wanting help from an English speaking technician for a product I bought in France appeared simply to not be possible without paying a small fortune with HP.

I am very pleased with my Brother Multifunction Device - it was dead easy to install and set up - works better wirelessly than the HP and costs a lot less for the same quantities of consumables.

I would give you my old HP printer if I wasn't dead against the idea of encouraging anyone to support them by buying their extortionately priced cartridges... Also, you sound like a nice guy....!

Is this what you have Brian?

I have used Brother printers for many years, They are cheap and reliable. Not 100 euros but cheap to run if you don’ t buy Brother cartridges. I would get a networked multifunction which will also copy and scan. Very useful especially if you also buy PDFILL (about $US 20 ) which will convert images to PDF and allow you to fill in forms in PDF format as well

A few months in now and my Samsung is great. B+W but has a scanner and copy function, quality is good and, after all said and done, it was you who put me on the road to looking at Samsung. The Samsung SCX-3405 mono laser multifunction printer cost me under €100 at the time, I had a drop of and collect free delivery to keep it under. I have no idea where the receipt is so I can't remember who I bought from. I suspect it was Priceminister though. Have a look.