What rights does the Carte de Séjour give you in the rest of EU?

If you use the air france travel documents widget for (eg) flight between Paris and Berlin is says “Passport”.

(Two rugby matches…so boring that an air france widget is more fun!)

2 Likes

Well it’s a bit more complicated than that. I don’t fly from France, I fly from Luxembourg.

I imagine flying between any two european countries for a third county national is pretty much the same…

Hence my original question about using the CdS as a travel document. Because if I have to get my passport stamped every time I fly between Luxembourg and Portugal as a French resident, British national, things could get pretty complicated. Especially since I could drive freely between these countries without being controlled… Surely that’s got to be discriminatory.

Why discriminatory? We are all TCNs now.

1 Like

Discriminatory in the sense that if you choose one method of transport over another you are (potentially) treated differently.
To me it makes sense that if you fly from one Schengen country to another and you have a CdS issued following the withdrawal agreement, you should not have your passport stamped.

I can understand your viewpoint but the fact is you’re no longer eurpean and no longer enjoy freedom of movement, that’s Brexit, unfortunately :frowning: if you were to be stopped ar a border whilst driving your passport would be stamped too and technically ar sachet border crossing as a tcn. The WA carte de séjour just enables you to live in France, that’s all, all the rights vanished with Brexit :open_mouth:

I don’t see that. A CdS is country specific sadly, so only relevant when crossing the border in and out of your home country. And as Andrew says they could stop you and stamp your passport at a land crossing, but choose not to.

You will have 90 days in 180 in other european countries, and once the system is up and running I believe this will be pretty automatic.

Yes, I understand all that about the end of free movement. But my point is that there are no land borders anymore in Schengen. Sometimes the police or the gendarmes might be at the border but they are checking for other things and they are not equipped to stamp passports.

1 Like

That’s what concerns me, the 90/180 day rule. I could fly out of Luxembourg to one country, have my passport stamped, and then when I fly out again 6 months later they could say that I’ve overstayed the 90 days in Luxembourg, which wouldn’t be the case because I would have been in France all that time.

I don’t know what other TCNs do, as this may well be a common issue. Of course it shouldn’t be for you to prove where you have been but you may well have to prepare yourself to do so. Which I thought would be easy enough to do.

You may of course also find that flights internal to Schengen are pretty lax about passport stamping anyway!

You may of course also find that flights internal to Schengen are pretty lax about passport stamping anyway!

That’s what I’m hoping for!
When I came back from Portugal on the 6th Jan this year I was expecting to be asked for proof that I was covered by the withdrawal agreement. I thought I would have to show my attestation that I had applied for my CdS, but nothing was questioned.

Is it not the case (as I think it has always been) that once you are in Schengen you can move freely from State to State… it’s just that Brexit has meant that you can no longer settle freely.
Isn’t that the means by which other TCNs from war torn countries manage to find their way to the likes of Calais for illicit trips to the UK.

Nothing.

Yes, just checked and it seems that is the case, (I stand corrected!), according to what I’ve just read here but as you say, for TCN it’s freddom of movement for tourist travel, studies etc. not settling or working.

1 Like

see my reply to Graham’s post; yes, it looks like once you’re in and legal, as a TCN you can travel for tourism etc. within Shengen

But surely for TCNs only 90 days in any other country apart from their “home” country? (Refugees and asylum seekers rarely cross borders via official means because of the rules on registration at first point of entry, and many have no papers anyway to cross a border with).

So her problem will be if she is stamped arriving in say Portugal as a British national (we flew from France to Porto in 2019 and had to go through passport control) then her clock will start ticking. And if she then never “leaves” the Schengen area the clock will eventually sound its alarm.

All totally irrelevant at the moment, as no system in place to do this. And anyway, easy enough to show that this is an error.

But once ETIAS is in place in 2022 it could become more complicated?

1 Like

Yes I agree, Jane, freedom to travel within the Schengen zone but obviously subject to the 90/180 day rule like any other TCN apart from France thanks to the WACdS

1 Like

Am I missing a point here?
If your passport is stamped on leaving LUX that will show you have left (presumably within the 90/180 day rule) and on entry to France, your passport should not be stamped if you have the appropriate documentation (CdS-WA) so you will be completely legal.

Sort of…I have interpreted the OP as driving to Luxembourg to get a plane to A.N.Other european country. So no stamps when you cross a border in a car…and probably no stamps when you board in internal flight.