What the Boeing and Bombardier trade dispute reveals about Brexit

But that nice Mr Farage said it would be easy…

1 Like

Surely this dispute is essentially between the USA (Boeing) and Canada (Bombardier), and therefore has little, if any, relevance to Brexit.
The only involvement of the UK is that Bombardier happens to have an outsourced (satelite) factory in Northern Ireland.

Paul,

That must be ‘fake news’… Im sure he never said that or that other ‘twat’ Liam Fox, who said doing an EU Trade Deal, will be “easiest in history to get”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/20/liam-fox-uk-eu-trade-deal-after-brexit-easiest-human-history

Doh

Martin

Hello Robert,

I believe the thrust if the article is, that we will be weaker in the future, as a lone country, instead of a stronger group of 28, securing favourable trade deals, especially against an unstable US President.

From article :

"The real Brexit significance is revealing how the promise of being able to strike our own trade deals is so much thin gruel. The big trade blocs – the US, China and the EU27 – will dictate terms to the United Kingdom. In negotiations where both sides have something to lose – say, Canada, Japan, India, New Zealand – the United Kingdom won’t be able to secure as favourable access into those markets as it could as part of the EU. (And without the weight of the EU behind it, its ability to get its way in trade disputes that follow after these deals will be limited as well.) Most of the trade deals Britain can strike quickly and with the biggest economic benefit will be with small Gulf states to sell arms – which will be tricky to sell politically here at home.

And just as with trade deals made on our behalf by the EU, the role of provincial governments or domestic politics – in this case, that of Quebec and Trump’s need to show his “America First” routine isn’t just talk – will slow things down and gum up the works."

Martin

Hi Martin,
Fundamentally I just think that using an issue related to Trump’s crazyness is a bad example on which to base any article about anything. About the only thing that the Trump presidency has demonstrated so far is that the American political system is badly in need of reform.
Regarding future Trade Deals involving the UK, I do think however that there will be scope for tailor making them to the UK’s needs, rather than having to take a ‘one size fits all’ version in relation to 27 other countries as well.

1 Like

But there is no way that the terms with any large nations will be as favourable as they are now. It just doesn’t work like that.

1 Like

Uh?

“27 other countries” will be the EU? If so then we obviously have to negotiate with those as a block.

True we have a somewhat crazy POTUS at present - it is just possible he will be gone when we start trying to negotiate a trade deal with the US, especially if the transition period means that we can’t start until 2021 but the point, which you seem to be missing is that it provides clear illustration that the current US administration will be happy to let us know what its terms are for a trade deal but I’m not sure how much negotiation they will be willing to enter into.

If the US says “here’s the deal” and we say “yes” it will, indeed be conducted quickly. It will, probably, be “big and exciting”, but it most likely won’t be in our best interest.

The leavers are like a bunch of teenagers screaming at their parents “I hate you, I’m leaving and never coming back” and rushing out of the door only to find it is raining and they did not stop to pick up a coat.

2 Likes

This one has Donald Trump all of it. It “stinks” in exactly the same manner.

Boeing and Bombardier are in the same market for jet aircraft but different ends of it. Bombardier does not build 747-type jet aircraft, and Boeing does not build really competitive business jets. So just why should Bombardier get up The Donald’s left nostril?.

The Bombardier Global 8000 Business Jet is not competition to any Boeing product. It’s competition is elsewhere - see here. Boeing’s offering in that market is a 737 at $80M!

And regardless of leaving or not the EU, the threat to Northern Ireland jobs is not that real. European airlines will not quit Bombardier just because Northern Ireland is no longer in the EU. Nonetheless, the constituents who live there have every right to follow Scotland, which will more than likely vote to stay. Northern Ireland did, after all, vote to remain in the EU!

The UK got into this fix all by itself!

Once again Dump-Trump is in a snit over nothing - he spends his entire day in tweet-fits. Heaven help America …

I was about to put a “t” in the middle of that name, but then … ;^)

Fat rage or Fart age?

Either seem appropriate.

>Fundamentally I just think that using an issue related to Trump’s crazyness is a bad example on which to base any article about anything. About the only thing that the Trump presidency has demonstrated so far is that the American political system is badly in need of reform.

Not nowadays, when the Donald Dork is highly unpredictable. They guy has never known nor acknowledge the depth of dislike many people have of him.

Suffering from acute narcissism as he is, he can’t tolerate it, which is why he tweets twits all the time. It’s his asinine way of defending himself.

>Regarding future Trade Deals involving the UK, I do think however that there will be scope for tailor making them to the UK’s needs, rather than having to take a ‘one size fits all’ version in relation to 27 other countries as well.

You’re right. The EU will make a single offer, take it of leave it. Leave it, and you do whatever you want but don’t come back to try to negotiate it.

This is the proverbial line drawn in the sand. The EU cannot afford politically for GB to go beyond that line to have the easiest way out. That only provides good example for other countries to do the same.

What other countries? Those that would leave easiest are the non-Euro countries. These are: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, and Sweden. Those countries are a Big Risk for the EU should their constituents want to leave.

So far, there is not much sign of EU-exit happening in Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, Poland or Romania. Nor will there be for as long as their economies continue to improve.

But one can never tell for sure …

Actually, the aircraft concerned is Bombardier’s CS100 which is a commercial airliner rather than a business jet. Their CSeries range competes directly with the Boeing 737 & Airbus A318.
The move by the US does show that “favourable” trade deals might be hard to get particularly when the UK has very little to trade!