What the heck IS that?

Any green thumbs out there? There is this fuzzy white stuff on my indoor flower pot? Anyone know what it is and should I be concerned about the plant?

Bit of moisture seeping through the pot and leaving salt deposits most probably - if you wipe a finger over it does it come off and feel salty (i.e small crystals)?

If not could be fungal hyphae but I’ll put my money on mineral deposits.

1 Like

Yes, Paul, all part of the aging process of the garden pot.

@michael_archer Thank you gentlemen for your replies. No Paul - there is no salty residue - could it be mould? I have a high humidity house although it hasn’t happened to 2 other pots. (But the 2 others require less water.) Can that be harmful to the plant eventually? Should I transplant it to a ceramic glazed pot instead? I didn’t know flower pots “aged” Michael but then I guess everything does in the end, yes?:wink:

Our bedroom floor is extremely wet in humid weather. The (old) house is dug out into the slope there. I’ve put a dehumidifier on and everything is out in the sun today. But it happens every time. I wash the back wall with vinegar to get rid of the mould. Anyone got the same problem?

Use silver nitrate in the paint or wash to permanently get rid of mould/mildew, we have used it an all our houses to great effect.

I had the same problem in the first house I bought in a small Welsh village. The houses were made in the 1830s by blasting the side of a steep hiwll, creating a flat(ish) area to build houses on. The houses were built from the rock blasted out. Inside the house in one corner was a large lump of bedrock that jutted into the room. It was always much colder than anything in the house and so any humidity in the air condensed on it, and it ran onto the floor. The floor was also bedrock that had been picked level. No carpets in that room, just bare rock and a few rugs. The back door was also upstairs and you could walk onto the roof to sunbathe. It was a magical house in many ways.