What to do with a sterling cheque

May be so, but I think most cambrioleurs prefer builders’ equipment to art…

I have one such thing on my wall. The rebate cheque for 3½d was sent, from the Inland Revenue to my father in 1962, it is countersigned by himself as “My contribution to the national debt”.

1 Like

But just in case perhaps check that listed correctly in your insurance policy, and all documented? Something that is on my to-do list still.

I have (on my desk) the £5 note I earned playing the saxophone at a gig on Regent’s Street in the ‘70’s. Which I knew would be my first and last earnings from music, so memory worth more than the money.

3 Likes

As a long term NW client I’m intrigued by the reference to online purchases using the NW card reader which I thought was only to verify access the NW banking app so how is it used for online purchases?

You can validate the security checks by using the Nationwide app or by using a card reader.

1 Like

Majority of banks will not do this anymore in England. I had a big blow up in a bank trying to pay a check into my mothers account. Apparently international money laundering is done £50 at a time by highly tracable relatives :roll_eyes:

Thanks for that, but I imagine the address would need to be the one linked to my account.

It’s very kind of you to offer to pay the cheque in for us, but when I told my wife, she remembered that we’ve got friends in the next village who are about to visit the UK, so we can just hand it to them. But thanks again for putting the idea in her head!

Insuring artworks can be a complicated business because of valuation if you’re the artist, or bought the work forty years ago. Sometimes one can cite recent auction prices, but that too can be difficult. Last month I was notified by auctionnet that three of my wife’s paintings were coming up for auction in Jo’burg, but to find out the reserve, or what they went for, I need the professional subscription.

The verification process is Identification key, PIN, entering the code number of the purchase which will be displayed on the web page, the card reader then generates a numerical code that you enter on the web page.

When the card reader was issued many years ago, I thought it was an extra hassle, but since two stage verification came in I find it extremely useful and appreciate the level of security.

1 Like

I’ve never had to verify an online purchase using the card reader as any requiring an NW authorisation check has been on screen. I do have NW app on my phone but all purchases are made on laptop or PC so, perhaps, only phone purchases use the card reader?

No, I don’t use my phone for online purchases, because the previously mentioned poor reception chez nous makes SMS verification useless, but two stage verification doesn’t happen on all sites. Don’t know why that should be the case as I thought it had become mandatory.

I think it’s a bit more complicated based on transaction value and previous history. When I get the security challenge it always offers me the option of validation by app or card reader but that might just be Nationwide.

Hello everyone, not posted for ages but still going strong here in Toulouse.

Bizarrely I’ve had a few times this problem. Caisss d’épargne won’t take them but LCL will (which is part of cred ag). I opened an account just for that there. It takes a while and there are fees but it went through.