What to do with a sterling cheque

My wife has just received a cheque for £18 from the IRS (we don’t know why!). We’re wondering what to do with it as, unlike me, she doesn’t have a UK bank account and Crédit Agricole seem to charge for every banking procedure.

It’s not mega bucks, but we’d like to get the best deal!

Does your UK bank have a mobile app? If so she can sign the back and you can scan it (both sides) and deposit it.

I’ve only done it with cheques made out to me, but in theory this should be possible too…

I don’t know - intentionally keep mobile and banking very separate!

However, thanks very much for your swift and helpful suggestion - I’ll explore my bank’s website from the laptop

My bank’s mobile app is on my ipad, not phone. I have very little on my phone apart from one freezeable payment card.

1 Like

Thanks again, but it seems not doable - it’s only possible via snail mail and the submission form needs a UK or a BFPO home address

1 Like

I have a UK address so maybe that’s difference

Sign on back and send to friend in UK who"s preparedctontrudge into a bank and pay it in?

1 Like

Send it back and ask them to do a BACS transfer like any modern business in the 21st century.

2 Likes

Having to foot the bill for postage reduces the £18 benefit to a piont when it isn’t worth the effort.
Best frame it and hang it as a talking point.

1 Like

;;;;;[quote=“JohnBoy, post:8, topic:46045”]
Best frame it and hang it as a talking point.
[/quote]

We’ve several hundred artworks that we’d frame before that …

But would they attract the same attention?
Framing artwork was my job today. My wife is an excellent artist, although she doesn’t agree. Wall space, what wall space!

1 Like

I’d certainly hope so, both my wife and myself have exhibited internationally for forty or so years, including in some national museums, but in addition we also have a big collection of works by well-known contemporary artists and a historical collection of prints from a 1453 wood-cut to a couple of Morandi etchings to a suite of six Tom Phillips screenprints and a load of other stuff that one day may become a print wall.

Basically, we really need a museum.

Shhhh, you can’t say things like that on here, cheques are as important and essential to France as the baguette apparently, even a rosbif one :roll_eyes::wink:

2 Likes

Indeed, if France didn’t have cheques, one would no longer have the traditional long queues at supermarket cheque - sorry check-outs

1 Like

Just because such dull things interest me @DrMarkH, what UK bank was it that had such a backwards procedure for cheques? I haven’t used one in about 20 years now and even then it was so rare I actually remember the last one was to get an IKEA catalogue sent in the post :joy:, but I thought pretty much everyone in the UK, Nationwide aside, had some version of cheques imaging at this point, but I guess not. Nationwide have been doing trials for about 4 years at this point bizarrely but I’m not sure it’s ever gone live.

Nationwide - I joined them in the summer of 1987, when they became the first bank to drop bank charges on in credit current accounts - they’re still pretty good about most things, but I actually stayed with them because we can’t get a mobile signal at the bottom of a steep bit of the Lot Valley, whereas I can shop online via the Nationwide card reader - so much easier than waving a phone around in the garden in order to get a confirmation code

1 Like

Ahhhh, ok, good guess then! As I say, they are trialling cheque imaging, not that that’s any use for you today, but I assume their app can’t cope with it for some reason which is why they haven’t rolled it out to everyone. Its ridiculous as all banks do these days when you take a cheque in to them is scan it which is why it’s easy for most to just connect the system they’re already using to the app for customers to do it directly. Nationwide buy everything in though so perhaps SAP or whoever want a hundred million to let customers use it.

Sounds impressive but not being an artie person its over my head. Not so all those art thieves out there who now know. A public forum is perhaps not the place to list what might be a valuable art collection?

1 Like

Wouldn’t have thought there were too many of those reading SF posts - maybe you’re in danger of coming across as a tad paranoid

I think @JohnBoy is spot on: the bots are everywhere :smirk:

Is it an address for a purpose or simply an address for the sake of filling space on a form? Could you use someone else’s address for the purpose?
otherwise, if you can get it to me by Monday (Yvelines) then I’m happy to deposit it in a branch for you when I’m in the UK next week.

1 Like