What to do with tea towels in the kitchen?

I have a profound aversion to tea towels, they just redistribute the bugs and are a waste of time.
When alone, I just leave the stuff in the rack to drip dry.
Madame prefers everything to be put away as soon as possible.
I don’t get it. It all has to come out again for the next meal.

Drip dry on the draining board is much safer, but glasses really need a polish.

1 Like

I think it is a waste of time to dry up (and as you say can pass germs). I dont’ like the stuff left sat (although it often does!) but as it has a hot rinse before stacking it dries pretty quick so I tend to go and do something else then put the stuff away, much more time efficient than drying up.

I don’t have anywhere either, so just use the oven door, I try to hang nice and straight so it looks neat. The large number of males in the house have other ideas!

I always have a clean tea towel available but I only use it if I’ve washed up more than there is space for to drip dry. I seem to put things away about twenty minutes before I need to bring them out again.

Use a dishwasher, one of these maybe😂

If I do the last meal’s wash-up and it dries before I retire (usually after midnight) I clear the draining board before I go to bed.

If I wake to washing-up on the draining board I put it away before I do anything else. Last night’s washing up is VERY depressing IMO. Nice to wake to a ready-to-go-kitchen, makes for a well-ordered day.

1 Like

I always wash up before going to bed but put everything away in the morning. Usually while the kettle is boiling.

3 Likes

In Italy they have super clever draining racks inside what looks like a cupboard over the sink, very covetable but not practical for me because I don’t like high cupboards in kitchens and it would have to be above a window. But still wonderful :heart_eyes:

We have dozens so straight in the washing machine…
But we do live with my 2 sons and 1 sons girlfriend. 3 parties cooking several times a day.
Places i find them:
Every kitchen surface, conservatory chairs, kitchen chairs, floor…
Solution: kick teenage/20s out and move to france where there is a small airer above the oil stove.

1 Like

Piano = big oven
Like my rangemaster…
I hang them on mine but nobody else does! So straight in the wash…

Yes! We stayed in an air b n b in Spain last year and it was a really traditional Spanish flat, full 70s decor , just lovely after all the ‘done’ places which look exactly like each other…
Anyway, it had the cupboard drying rack which I thought was absolutel genius.

2 Likes

We have a range cooker and in an ideal world it would hang there along with the hand towel, but in reality that would mean both would be covered in dog hairs as we have a huge hairy German Shepherd who walks past at that height constantly :woman_facepalming:t3:
Everything goes in the dishwasher here and with the exception of Tupperware tubs comes out dry and spot free, tubs are the only thing we use tea towels for yet I have a drawer under the sink that houses over 50 tea towels! For this reason and the hairy dog, tubs get dried and the tea towel goes straight to the wash basket.
The hand towel is a different problem altogether, this gets replaced at least once daily but I still struggle to keep it out of the dog’s way and still in reach of the sink, everyone tends to throw it onto the kitchen table or the back of a chair so the dog can knock it to the floor :rage:
The dog’s allowed in the kitchen because he’s as much a part of the family as everyone else, we spend a lot of time in the kitchen and so does he.

My fathers clever bull terrier demonstrated his intellect by pulling dishcloths off Agas etc wherever he was and lying on them. Definite proof of intellect as my various aunts’ various springer and clumber spaniels/mastiffs/labradors and my father’s other (less clever) bull terriers never thought if it.