What to serve for Apero?

got the recipe for Pimms? If so I'd love a copy.

Thanking ypu in anticipation.

5 mins from Rodez airport and 5 mins Marcillac

Where are you in the Aveyron, Brian?

We live in the Aveyron and introduced our neighbours to pimms. Now we can't get rid of them !

Apart from wine, whisky and pastis seem to go down well.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I like the idea of a cultural exchange so may well serve Pimms. Sounds like I need to source some creme de cassis & Ricard as well! Merci beaucoup!

Our neighbours always offer Ricard with ice and water for the men and port or martini bianco for the ladies. All served with little nibbles (those biscuity things from the supermarket). We are in the Mayenne (53) a rural and predominantly farming area.

Merci beaucoup Pauline. At the time of writing my posting to Helen, a senior moment took hold and those lickle grey cells malfunctioned. (:-) Jk

Sorry folks. yes I mean Floc, not Flock. Spending too much time with my sheep! In the light of some comments regarding Floc, perhaps I need to search out some local producers, as I have not found the stuff in Supermarkets worth while.

Recently went to Argeles-sur-Mer, where white Sangria was the in thing.

Oh, and a good banyuls too ;-)

no, don't know them, don't know many really as i was never in with other expats there as my oh and kids are french, as are all my old mates from decaze - i used to ride with the local cycling club CCFAC. taught in afew of the industries in decaze, sam, mti etc, it doesn't look it but there's quite a lot of economic activity.

Floc de Gascogne

Floc

aperitif dinatoire makes it into a meal

Picon?

Sadly, I don't know any other people except my neighbours but about 7 years ago, I met the two men who live/used to live in the Chateau at Lugan, one of them was an Irish fella. There used to be a woman selling cupcakes and cookies at Montbazens market on Wednesday mornings but hasn't been there the last couple of times. Decazeville is like the town that was forgotten but I like the market there and we pick up bits from the Geant. Funnily, we had a bottle of Tariquet two nights ago!

Sorry was late

Seems with have similar tastes John. However, if you live in Dept 16, why buy from the supermarket? Go direct to one of the small producers. My favorite is tat produced by Mordendier, at St George just outside Mirambeau. Pineau has a fuller flavor than our local Flock.

Ah Montbazens, know it so well, used to live in Aubin then Decazeville, also St Santin and the other side from you near Colombiès (all OH's family are from Sauveterre area). Do you know Joanna who lives in Lugan...? I used to teach at the CCI in Rodez and I think she's still teaching there.

As for the apéro, muscat and ricard/pastis are the standard, a tariquet goes down well too and very popular in our friends/family/work gatherings. varies a bit depending where you are too ;-)

Santé !

Cher Helen,

Have a look at the link below for some guidance.

We are in Dept 16 - Le Charente and a very nice Apero served here is a Charentais drink called, Pineau.

Comes Rouge or Blanc and can be bought at most large supermarkets all over France.

Suggest you only serve nibbles though, as anything more substantial has a different name which for the moment escapes me.

Your guests might be having their lunch or evening meal after their visit to you, so imagine their dilema, do they refuse your offerings and come across as being impolite or gorge on what you've provided and ruin their own meal.

http://www.connexionfrance.com/aperitifs-dos-and-donts-making-friends-with-neighbours-news-article.html

Whatever you do, enjoy it and don't get to caught up in the rigid Do's and Don'ts. Afterall, it is the 21st century and even France moves with the times, albeit slowly. Jk