What to serve for Apero?

Not only are my friends poor but also Dipsomaniacs! :-) Glad I moved here in the Herault.

Is this not a regional thing? Here is Gironde, it is sweet white wine, Flock, Sangria or Pastis. My preference is for white Pineau de Charente, while my wife would prefer a rosé wine.

Whatever you have, enjoy!

Montbazens. We don't live there just for a month in the summer. Thinking about heating so we could stay more in winter.

Anything goes, but give them a choice - cool wine, Guignolet, Ricard, Kir, beer, whisky

Not in Aude

Well said

Ricard, please. 22 years?

This is becoming potentially contentious...do your own thing "Go Anglais" and be proud of it (unless you're Scottish).

We run a chambres d'hote and have served hundreds over the last 8 years.

Muscat is popular, as is Kir, if it's hot you might try homemaid Sangria or homemaid Pimms - beer, Ricard, scotch (with various mixers incl orange juice) for the men (sexist ?) or often simple rose wine is requested.

Bon soiree

Our neighbours in Aveyron invite us to either lunch or supper at least once while we are on holiday and, as we then normally return the invitation, its good to see what is traditionally served at such gatherings. The evening normally starts off with some cheese-based nibbles and/or nuts and always a glass or two of Floc de Gascogne or Pineau des Charentes. Where we are, there seems to be a liking for a sweet wine before dinner as opposed to the UK, where we'd tend to start off with a dry sherry or G&T.

whatever you like. Ask them what they like...preferences etc...many are easy, pastis will do, others expect something British (from Sotland mainly!)

Gosh all my friends must be poor then!

Try one of the many varieties of “Floc” a sweetish wine drunk as an aperitif. If you can get some even a pacheranc similar type of wine.
You could even offer them sherry I,m sure they would be happy though with anything so offer what you would offer your guests if in england

I think also that you offer a drink and another if they want, but that's usually it.

In summer when it is hot Pimms.

Refreshing

22 years in France & you still don't know it's spelt 'Ricard' ? Come on Andrew, do you really live here? ;-)

22 years in France so you could say i am abit of a pro at this.

Wine is known as a poor mans Apero (Apéro du pauvre) in France it for the table, if you must the ladies like white wine with creme de cassis

or a rum punch.

For the lads/ladies Whiskey and some coke if needed or Pastis 51/Rickard water and lots of ice.

hope that helps.

We have picked up from a number of people we know that sparkling wine, rosé or white, is a good choice, especially since one can also get non-alcoholic sparkly stuff to match. I used to offer g&t and got very strange looks!

What most people do round here as a carafe aperitif is white wine mixed with a lot of grapefruit juice or the same with Rosé. Refreshing on a hot night but not too intoxicating. We can even buy it canned from our local negoçiant.

I would offer wine or beer, but what did they offer you?