What vegetable is this?

A friend just gave these root vegetables to my husband. We have no idea what they are.

Jerusalem artichoke?

1 Like

I’d say so. Topinambour, lovely but a pig to clean.

They are not great specimens so look more like dahlia tubers (which are also edible) but I agree most likely jerusalem artichokes. Clean, slice, sweat in butter and a bit of stock/herbs. Lovely. Or make soup, also lovely. Or roast.

3 Likes

I use warm water and a stiff nail-brush that is reserved for the purpose.

You can definitely come visit!

To be honest with you, if I wasn’t sure about what looks like poor specimens of whatever they are, since there isn’t a lot of them the food bin would be getting them, I wouldn’t be taking a chance :wink:

To be truthful, they look awfully like the sweet potatoes I’ve just dug up. If you cut off a bit of them and the inside is the typical orange colour of a sweet potato, that would confirm it.

1 Like

Jerusalem artichokes, but I’ve seen better looking specimens :rofl:
You can also make them into puree, very distinctive flavour !
My ex-MIL hated them because that was pretty much the only root vegetable they could grow and eat during the occupation of WWII. Everything else was subject to regular collection by the occupier.

Jerusalem artichokes. Delish but will make you fart!

1 Like

In my experience, only if one eats meat…

If you sweat them slowly in butter and stock and a bit of lemon juice like we do, then they don’t!

1 Like