What's almost better than fresh air... for you?

For me… it’s the smell of mimosa… that fills the whole house at the moment.

A kind neighbour (93 year old ex-gendarme) left a huge pile of mimosa at the Mairie, with instructions to “help yourselves, but make sure Stella gets some”… :relaxed: so they phoned me and my hallway is now full of branches covered with the small, sweetly-smelling yellow flowers… phew… love it.

On the way back from the Mairie, I knocked on a few doors and handed mimosa to all and sundry… still loads left for me . :hugs::hugs::relaxed::relaxed:

5 Likes

Just fried chips covered in salt and vinegar closely followed by garlic bread cooking in the oven… oh I’m hungry :yum::yum:

Today I could smell freshly cut grass, my favourite smell this time of year.

4 Likes

Blood, fish and bone (if you’re not familiar, it’s for the garden) If I smell it in a garden center, I’ll get as close as possible and try not to seem too weird…

1 Like

Fresh ground coffee :sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Burying my nose in the fur of a natural dog followed by fresh air…I have a young mimosa…It flowered early and is now bereft of flowers…x :frowning:

2 Likes

I remember mimosa from when I was a girl in Lancashire.
The wonderful perfume and strange leaves.
It is very evocative.

2 Likes

Well, I’ve been doing a tour of the village to find flowers for Easter decoration in the local church…

What a sad selection this year…so very, very glad to have so much mimosa. I’ve just put the finishing touches to the various vases and the door is now firmly locked until tomorrow morning… but the smell seems to be wafting through the nooks and crannies and up and down the street… or it might be my imagination.

Happy Easter everyone… :relaxed:

1 Like

For me and i Know it will probably be frowned upon but pipe smoke, i used to go to the shop for an old neighbour and get his pipe tobacco for him, and when he wandered around the garden i could smell it.

4 Likes

I can relate to that… as a kid I worked Saturdays in a shop that sold pipe tobacco… I even weighed it out, although I was not really meant to (too young)… but some of those smells… great stuff :relaxed:

2 Likes

A Gauloise, for me David, if I learn I am about to ‘pop me clogs’ I will rush out and buy a full carton, gave up several years ago, but LOVE the smell still :grin::grin:

3 Likes

Now, that makes you really French… immediately identifiable that smell…

1 Like

I quite smoking 36 years ago after puffing away on 30-40 Gauloise without filter per day , I still like the smell.

1 Like

Oh Yes, no filter, thats like coke in a good malt! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I assume you mean the fizzy drink :thinking::sunglasses:

1 Like

right now i could do with fresh air. at least 2 of the dogs in the living room are farting and it is not nice.

2 Likes

Lol…funny…thankfully mine don’t fart…probably because they are raw fed…out of interest are any of your boarders raw fed…do any dog owners supply you with raw food to be fed to their dogs whilst they are away…??? x :slight_smile:

no we use organic food dry with human grade quality meat. ironically after being here a couple of days our boarders tend to not have smelly wind on my food and to point out, every living creature farts.

Some quotes.

"Modern society views flatulence as a negative. This is unfortunate, because in most cases it’s the byproduct of a beautiful thing — the intricate ecosystem of bacteria living in your intestines.

“It’s a complex ecology, with various organisms coexisting and thriving,” Kashyap says. “When a complex carbohydrate reaches your colon, some bacteria will break it down first, and then some of their byproducts will feed other bacteria. The whole community benefits from a single carbohydrate that you consume.”

and

"Starving your fart-producing bacteria is not a good idea
gut bacteria
Bacteroides fragilis, one of the bacteria species involved in gas production. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

For most people, actively trying to limit your gas production isn’t necessary, Kashyap says. The amount you produce is the result of both your balance of gut bacteria and diet, and unless you’re experiencing other sorts of problems — such as painful bloating — it’s not wise to mess with it.

“The knee-jerk reaction, for many people, is to stop eating things that produce gas,” he says. “But these foods, which have complex carbohydrates, are nutrition for the bacteria in our gut. You don’t want to starve them unless there’s a good reason.”

Additionally, he notes, many people who believe they suffer from excessive gas production actually just have trouble with the flow of that gas through their intestines, perhaps due to constipation. Or they might make the same amount of gas but emit it more frequently, in smaller doses. In either case, Kashyap says, “by changing your diet, you’re not solving the problem and may in fact be harming yourself.”

Of course, there are exceptions here: If you produce truly excessive amounts of gas or experience painful bloating, it could be a sign of a problem — such as lactose intolerance — and you may want to see a doctor."

Since allot of farts are created by the actual air we swallow not just the food we eat.

1 Like
1 Like

I wasn’t trying to get into an argument about farting…lol…I was just wondering if you ever took on raw fed dogs…??? It’s good that you feed organic and I get how it could reduce flatulence compared to what may be fed at home…I still maintain that mine don’t suffer from flatulence…(maybe they fart when we’re out for a walk and they go to the toilet…which is often enough that it doesn’t happen inside…???) I have a friend in uk who runs a day care for dogs…she’s also a behaviourist…kind methods only…and raw feeds her own three Collies…so easily handles day care dogs who are also raw fed…I also have a friend who runs a rescue and first thing she does for any newcomer with behavioural problems is switch them to a raw diet…just interested as to what you would do say for instance if someone like me wanted to leave my lifelong raw fed dogs with you and I bought along a weeks supply of raw food for them…??? x :slight_smile:

P.S…I also think it’s a great idea that you will soon be able to intake entire males…My boy coming up 7 is Still entire…loads of dog people now are reluctant if not adamant that they won’t go along with veterinary suggestions about early neutering…horrific that some perform castration at 6 weeks…horrific that vets advise castration on first appt very often between 8 weeks and 10 weeks…well before growth plates have closed…for male dogs there is probably no time in their lives where castration could be considered beneficial to their wellbeing…(and certainly not before at least 2 years old…)