What's going on with AstraZeneca?

Yes, that wouldn’t surprise me. Assumptions that were made on scaling up the volumes could easily have been optimistic. I’m glad I’m not the poor bugger who got it wrong.

Sure Jane, but I guess Europe and maybe US supply probably comes from closer to home.

It may be more of a “all contracts are equal” issue Peter.

Say the total Q1 production is going to be 300 doses and country A orders 200 and country B orders 100. Country B starts taking delivery before country A and receives 50 of its doses. It’s then discovered that the Q1 yield is only going to be 150 doses. That means country B has already received its “fair share” even before country A’s start shipping. If you see what I mean :thinking:

So should country A get ⅔ of the remaining 100 to be shipped, 66 or ⅔ of the overall production (as contracted for) 100.

Answers in a sealed envelope should be submitted to AstraZeneca, Chesterford Research Park, Cambridge, UK :wink:

2 Likes

Well - the Guardian story also reports the German government’s statement as reported by Reuters - but with a lot more very pertinent background detail!

, and the story has just been updated with a statement by Emer Cooke, head of the European Medicines Agency, saying that the AstraZeneca vaccine is likely to be approved at the end of this week, but only for younger people, because there is insufficient data on how well it works in the over-65s.

Interesting interview here:

1 Like

Interesting comment from the Telegraph of all places…

“Suspicions are swirling in Brussels that the missing vaccines, which were paid for in advance and could have been used to build up the EU vaccine stock, have somehow ended up in non-EU Britain. Although much of the UK stock is now manufactured on home soil, Britain did indeed rely on AstraZeneca’s EU plants for supplies last year”

Which some may read as Bojo has nicked EU supplies. I wonder what will happen next?

1 Like

Quite a few commentators in the UK are saying this is one of the tangible benefits of Brexit. Straws and clutching comes to mind but you can see why they would say it.

Robust and IMO credible response from AZ. The row rolls on.

1 Like

I’m sure tweets like this encourage that mindset Nigel.

1 Like

Did they really have the cheek to publish that! And without the rider that they have be as killing so many by their incompetence

Indeed that did Jane. It may have been subsequently taken down.

“Best effort” and/or “Obligation”
https://mobile.twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1354388535957196800

I am not defending AstraZeneca, but they had been waiting for the EU to pass their vaccine as fit for purpose for some time and it was sitting on the shelves and not getting into peoples’ arms.

2 Likes

The plot thickens Fleur :thinking:

The EMA seems to be looking closely at the trial results. It appears the number of older people in the trial was low compared with younger people, so the efficacy may not necessarily be as high. So EMA may recommend the AZ vaccine be limited to younger people in Europe.

I can’t help feeling there is a plot somewhere in there.

1 Like

I had heard that Customs exemption had been given on humanitarian grounds.

But that’s what a contract is all about Jane. Just because one of your customers isn’t ready to take delivery you can’t just hive off their allocation to another customer. Unless, of course, you think production is going to ramp up sufficiently to cover the shortfall :fearful:

That’s where I think (based on scant evidence but a lifetime of business experience) AZ made the mistake, but they are now trying to make the EU take the total brunt of their gamble rather than sharing the pain across all their customers.

Oh to be a fly on the wall :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thought the image in your post needed a bit of re-working…

9 Likes