What's it like on a huge cruise ship?

They do, don’t they. They are actually bottom heavy because the really heavy stuff like engines is all below the water line, as are the fuel tanks, water tanks and - importantly - ballast/stabiliser tanks.

I can’t say I fancy it though - one of our neighbours, an elderly couple, seems to live on cruise. Oh to be retired (not that I think I would like to go cruising even then).

1 Like

I will take your word for the bottom heavy stuff Paul. It just looks like it all might topple over, hope they never encounter really rough seas, imagine all those vomiting passengers ! :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

Don’t worry once you are retired there will be so much to do that you will wonder how you had time to work :wink:

So much to see and do, no need to waste it with another few thousand souls trapped on a boat :smiley:

2 Likes

Rationally I believe that they are engineered to be safe and really are bottom heavy and stable.

Emotionally I’m right with you on the “looks like it would topple in a strong wind” front.

2 Likes

Living on a cruise liner can be no more expensive than being a resident in a UK residential home and has better medical facilities and food.
I’m not sure about the stability, what was that ship in Italy a few years ago! I think they rely on stabilisers for a lot of their stability.

1 Like

That fact wasn’t lost on us, though one of the couple has such a smorgasbord of health problems that I have no idea how he manages any health insurance (those very good medical facilities are not branches of the NHS).

My wife and our two girls travelled on the “Windsor Castle” from Southampton to Cape Town in 1970, together with our 1958 VW Beetle. Headed for Zambia, passages paid by the mining corporation that employed me. First time out of UK. Magical trip. Nothing oppressive about protocol, we were treated like royalty and with utmost courtesy. On our first day I met an old man who looked confused. He was lost overboard halfway and the ship had to steam back 12 hours to search for him. Arriving in SA and seeing Table Mountain was incredible. The apartheid SA shore staff and the racial segregation was a huge shock. As Brits we were deliberately humiliated by Afrikaaner officialdom when they knew our destination. Though a magnificent country, we were glad to get out of it and to arrive in Zambia, after a four day drive via Southern Rhodesia. Altogether an unforgettable Odyssey.

4 Likes

They were the kind of conditions, the passengers on Ben Line Steamers enjoyed Peter, I worked with a guy in Saudi who had worked in the mines in Zambia.

1 Like

For her last few years, my Gran would spend winters in South Africa… sailing there and back on the Union Castle, I believe. The same shipping line as your Windsor Castle. She reckoned it was a lovely way to travel… all the more enjoyable as her ticket was paid for by my Uncle and Aunt who lived on a game reserve/national park out there and were pleased to have her visit.

1 Like

That’d be seahorses for courses Ann.

1 Like

Lovely photo John, I was lucky to visit the wonderful Aquarium at La Rochelle, could have spent hours just watching these beautiful creatures :slight_smile:

2 Likes

S.S Nevasa! That brought back memories - not necessarily all good ones. I know we went to Dubrovnik, as lovely mental images of it in a different era, and Cyprus as I remember oranges, but the rest is a blur of shrieking teenagers and cross schoolteachers.

We came back from the Caribbean on a banana boat one time…I don’t remember it being that formal but I was only a little kid so probably oblivious to those sorts of things.

1 Like

We behaved impeccably and the teachers were as calm as the sea…:wink:

1 Like

Not at all in the same league but I remeber going on the wonderful Royal Daffodil as a child. Sailing from Gravesend to Southend was a great experience…

1 Like

First time I saw them John, in the water, was 50yrs ago, fixing the prop’ on a boat in the harbour in Honfleur of all places, could hardly believe it when they ‘bobbed by’ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Knew She was at Dunkirk Ann, a ‘Noble Little Ship’, Dad was there but He got off on a Destroyer.

Our first long haul sea journey (as opposed to overnight channel crossings) was 6 nights on the QM2 from Southampton to NY (can’t call it a cruise apparantly it is a ‘voyage’ and the QM2 isn’t a cruise ship it’s a ‘liner’) My husband had always avoided cruises but after that trip he changed his mind, it was wonderful and although there were no stops en route we didn’t feel trapped or bored in any way. Lovely cabin with balcony and plenty of space to wander around the ship and plenty to do and entertainment. Also excellent value to say it was all inclusive and if we wanted we could eat 24 hours a day. We’ve also done 2 nights on a DFDS cargo ship from Scandinavia to Hull but not in any rush to do that again!

i used to keep them in my salt w\ater tank. magnificent to watch.

1 Like

The only thing I know about them is that they can stay afloat for hours after capsizing & the lights stay on, but you have to watch out for big holes when moving about…

Last December I ‘experienced’ the P&O Ventura - won’t be happening again, not my thing :no_entry:

1 Like