What's on the go near you - this summer 2019

What’s on the go near me - this summer 2019?

Le Tour!!! St Flour to Albi, passing through Carmaux, then rest day in Albi and then Albi to Toulouse!

I know where I will be come the days :slight_smile:

Ah, yes, we worked out that it would pass your way - you will have a grandstand seat I expect :relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Will post piccies of the experience when the time comes.

This is a first for me to actually experience it ‘live’ after having watched it on TV for many years.

1 Like

Enjoy the experience Carl and don’t forget to ‘grab’ any freebies the caravan throw your way, trust me it’s a sport to be enjoyed as much as the race. Looking forward to seeing your pics as this is the first time in nearly 19 years I can’t watch at least 1 stage live.

1 Like

The only thing I would warn folk about.

When it passed near to us one year - we had all sorts of folk selling souvenirs - they knocked door-to-door - and wandered the streets.

People were hoodwinked into paying quite large sums for naf stuff - not part of the event at all, just folk taking advantage of everyone’s enthusiasm.

Enjoy yourself @carlmt but watch your wallet. :hugs:

1 Like

Montee Historique d’ Uxeau. www.montee.historique-uxeau.com 28th August (71). Car road race.

Jane, you link is incomplete I reckon

https://www.montee-historique-uxeau.com/

video from 2018

When the tour came through Periguex in 2017 they threw a hat which landed next to my mum (82 at the time and leaning on a stick) as she bent to pick it up a younger lady nearly knocked her out and grabbed it just before mum could. My advise is unless something lands in your hand don’t bother, there are some really rough spectators and you would think they are poverty stricken the way they behave!

Oh gods, that brings back many memories! We’ve seen grown up’s? fight over madeleines, key rings & every other bit of tat that they chuck out. Best one was a bottle of water, (could have felled an Ox if it hit anyone at speed), my OH decided HIS OH might just need that, he just shot out an arm & grabbed it, I’ve never seen so many disappointed people in my life :slight_smile: I’ll be honest & say that nearly every ‘freebie’ I’ve collected, including Team Bidon’s, I’ve given away to kids that had a near death experience in the mad rush. My personal collection of Bidon that, I later got signed by a member of that team, have all been given away to kids that never get the chance to see the TdF live but would have loved to!

2 Likes

The Cognac Blues festival starts this week with four days of non-stop music, we’re going on the last day to see Brit singer-songwriter Tom Odell.

Freebies you take a chance with - it’s when the door-to-door folk offering memorabilia come around. The unwary get flustered and pay over the odds for rubbish.

It’s all rubbish, but the water is sometimes welcome’s! Where I live there’s no chance of door to door folk, our Dept. is way too poor to ‘host’ a TdF stage, we always have to travel…thankfully the Vendee is richer & close enough for a quick visit! I’ll get shot down for this, but both the Giro & Veulta outshine the TdF for me :slight_smile:

1 Like