What's your favourite alcoholic tipple?

I may well have a go once we are moved, I made wine in the 80s but never tried beer, although my husband days he used to use a bee brewing kit in the old days. Will post an update of it goes well.

1 Like

Great, I made wine too, had some very good results, (and some catastrophes).
Used the beer kits, the ‘Beer Sphere’ worked really well, don’t know if they are available now.

mmm, I remember a certain potato wine that during a single week fermented so much in the bottle that I ended up with 7 people staying over as they couldn’t manage to leave the house to catch the train home!

Still have my mums (1950’s Navy) recipe for beer so might try it although the original was quite strong!

1 Like

Big Bro’ and his buddy, made tattie wine, while they were still at the ‘Grammer’, bottled it, put it in a cupboard under the stairs, shortly after, the whole lot exploded, Mam was not 'appy! :rofl:

When I worked in Saudi, we made our own beer, and a stronger brew, we called sidiki, (My Friend), it was distilled, in very ‘dodgey’ stills, which were prone to blowing up, not unusual to hear a dull boom from somewhere close, in the middle of the night and see a roofless chalet in the morning :rofl:

1 Like

A cold Coors Light is so good on a hot (42C) day!

When I go out I always chose as apéro a Kir pétillant, made with Creme de Mur(I was told once that this is not a true Kir as has to be made with Creme de Cassis),however I don’t really like the taste of blackcurrents.
In second place Pineau des Charentes with plenty of ice to water it down(my son bought me back a bottle of vieux P recently from the Ile De Ré where he had a holiday job in a restaurant and it was really mellow)
However apart from that when at home, on the rare occasions I drink it has to be a local red (Anjou villages) or if I can find it a Bourgeuil from the adjoining dept In actual fact red wine would be my absolute favourite if only I didn’t look like dracula after two glasses(porous teeth )so avoid it when out.

1 Like

A friend introduced me to rhubarb vodka this summer. It’s so good with tonic.
My favourite drink, though I rarely have it, is a good gin and tonic with ice and a slice. My husband likes red wine so I tend to have a glass with him. We are enjoying the Julien de Savignac, goes down nicely.

1 Like

My daughter a fish eye as a bet when she was a teen. She can literally eat anything.
Her boyfriend was flying business class to Japan and had a choice of eels or steak. He chose the eels to try them. I asked him what they were like.
Awful, he said, but I had plenty of champagne to wash them down.
In Japan his team had dinner with the CEO of a large company. The starter was a whole baby squid with chopsticks to eat it!

I love squid and our eldest grandson, now 8, has always eaten the eyes of his fish.
Here in Burgundy we would wash it down with Cremant de Bourgogne.

1 Like

Try it with Griottes or peche de vigne for a change.
Yummy.

1 Like

We both love Pale Ale and IPA, off to Trumpland on Tuesday where we plan to visit several breweries to sample the local brews.

Ha ha. I meant to put this in the most disgusting thing ever eaten. I honestly have not been drinking this morning!

1 Like

Jane
I will definately try the creme de Griottes(never noticed it for sale here or maybe haven’t been looking)
We used to have a cherry tree that produced what people thought may have been griottes, sourer than the sweet cherries and very dark in colour.I actually prefered them to the sweet cherries.
Peche de vigne I have tried and liked but I always go back to the creme de mur(only the one glass as teeth start to change colour afterwards !)

1 Like

Oooh goody… another (new - for me) thread to my taste (literally) :grinning:
This could be a long list but “en bref”…
I like peach and apple schnapps as a treat,
the odd Baby Coca and Irish coffee when out,
Champagne :champagne:when celebrating or having a dinner party.
Disaronno amaretto at Christmas :santa:t3:
and a glass of red or two in the evening with my meal. :wine_glass: any vintage will do as my taste isn’t that refined, as you can see. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I love eel the way they make in Japan, unagi kabayaki, not slimy or oily just delicious.
We love octopus and squid whole, in bits, babies or adults… my daughters have been eating them up since they had teeth.

I like squid if it’s cooked properly, can’t bear it chewy.
My son isn’t very adventurous with food, my daughter will try most things.

I’ve become a big fan of absinthe, partly because it helped fuel the genius of Leonard Cohen et al and partly because of the drama of its presentation. I want an absinthe fountain for Christmas to go with my magic spoon. Must admit, though, the taste is nothing special.

2 Likes

I used to be quite partial to a drop or 2 of absinthe too, the proper stuff, not the fortified pastis. Helped me stop smoking 14 years ago…

To quit smoking people usually try nicotine gum or patches, cold turkey even. Absinthe doesn’t get a mention!..Gap in the market?