What's your favourite cure for a cough?

Lemon and honey in hot water, let it cool and sip it 3 or 4 times a day.
If I have sniffles then I add some Brandy and take it as a ā€˜grogā€™ before going to bed :slight_smile:
Antibiotics will not cure a cough or cold, they are useful for some things but should never be asked for/given as a cure-all. The side effects can be unpleasant and may end up with a patient having to take other drugs to aleviate the symptoms.

1 Like

Totally agree Annā€¦ canā€™t think why Docā€™s would be handing ABā€™s out willy nillyā€¦ :roll_eyes:ā€¦

One natural remedy favoured by my UK Docā€¦ was gargling with salt-waterā€¦ excellent for sore throats and sniffles etcā€¦ :relaxed:

1 Like

Unless of course you have a bacterial chest infection in which case they can be essential and stop it developing into pneumoniaā€¦which I have learnt the hard way - twice!

Apple cider vinegar diluted in water, plus honey to taste. Drink frequently throughout the day. Particularly effective in the very early stages of a cold ā€¦ once you think you have the sniffles start drinking it plus take huge quantities of Zinc. I rarely develop a cold now and am convinced itā€™s the ACV and Zinc thatā€™s working.

1 Like

As I said they are useful for some things Jane, obviously in your case they were needed but they are not a cure all.
I canā€™t count the number of conversations I have had with French friends who have said why donā€™t you see the doctor about that sore throat/cough/headache or any other bobo, he will give you some antibiotics !

2 Likes

Some good remedies there, thanks!
All I could think of was, a fag :wink:

To be fair they were teaching us nearly 40 years ago that most cough mixtures were ineffective and to look at something soothing. Obviously if you develop a temperature , start producing gunk , have pain etc you need to seek further advice

Yepā€¦ disgusting as it sounds ā€œghastly green gunkā€ was a sign that a visit to the Doc was in orderā€¦ other than that it was Grandmaā€™s remediesā€¦

anyone remember being coated with brown paper and goose fatā€¦ :fearful:

Thank God, Nooo !!!

If a hot grog with liberal amounts of rum does not work, then have a second one. Might not cure the cold but you will sleep well

1 Like

I find whiskey has a similar calming effect Phillip :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

No one enjoy sucking a ā€œfishermanā€™s friendā€ :crazy_face:

1 Like

:scream: I had one onceā€¦ and once was more than enoughā€¦ I had to wait until I could politely palm it and bin itā€¦ aaaargh :upside_down_face:

I knew a fisherman onceā€¦

I like fishermanā€™s friends and also victory v both the lozenges and the black squashy onesā€¦(not seen them in a whileā€¦!)

I also used to like Impsā€¦x :slight_smile:

My go to remedy for a cough depending on whether itā€™s loose or dry would be either homeopathic drosera or homeopathic ipechuana

And high grade Manuka honey not only for coughs but also applied topically for fast healing of woundsā€¦x :slight_smile:

A Good Malt :grin:

1 Like

years ago we were travelling in northern France and I had an awful cold, and we tottered into a bar for a coffee. The barman said ā€œnon, un grogā€ and despite my protests he made up some hot vile-smelling concoction. I know it had rum in it, there was no sugar (it was quite sour), he sloshed in some other liquids from the spirit optics at the bar and hot water and plonked it in front of me. Told me to put a sugar cube on my tongue whilst drinking it in one go. Well, I have no idea what was in it although five minutes later I was feeling rather squiffy as Iā€™d drunk it on an empty stomach. However, about an hour later, in the car (hubby driving now since I was incapable due to intoxication), I actually started to feel immensely better. Airways clearing, throat clearing. I still donā€™t know what was in that ā€˜grogā€™ but, by heck, it worked. Or, I was so drunk, I wasnā€™t feeling so bad. Anyone know the recipe?

1 Like

yep - and hot potatoes to draw the cold from my chest