When is the eu going to retaliate

What would they be then?

Keeping people employed in Stuttgart and Munich for a start and from someone who is looking to replace his stolen BMW with another one, I would have thought that this was a no brainer.

You mean BMW etc employees?

One customer for a 2nd hand Beemer is not going to change corporate strategy.

And Mercedes employees of course.

Sorry David, but I do not see any reference to any of the matters you raise in the article referenced at the start of this discussion.

My comments were made on the basis of information widely circulating in the reputable media in the Former United Kingdom. Donā€™t be such a kibitzer.

Good morning David,

Well you certainly sent me to my dictionary with that one. :slight_smile:
Anyway, I suppose it is a case of what one sees often depends upon where one stands. No doubt HM Government may often think of the editorial and reporting teams of certain newspapers as ā€˜kibitzersā€™, or even indeed certain members of HM Loyal Opposition.
Iā€™ve always thought of this forum as being a place where advice, commentary, and the expression of opinion are welcomed in relation to the topic at hand.

In addressing the specific points you raised, perhaps it is wise to consider the background against which events are reported.
Entering the UK unlawfully is a criminal offence, as is making a false statement to an Immigration Officer. Certain Immigration staff are provided with powers of arrest and detention under the relevant legislation, although those powers should of course only be used in appropriate circumstances.
The law recognises that taking a person from their liberty is a very serious matter, and that is why the safeguarding provisions relating to arrest and detention made in the Police and Criminal Evidence Act apply to persons arrested by the Immigration Service.
Any person so detained will have the circumstances of their arrest examined by a Custody Officer who is not involved in the investigation, and every 12 hours thereafter the detention will be further reviewed by a more senior officer to verify that continued detention is both necessary and lawful.
All detained persons are searched and have their personal property logged and placed into safe storage, both from the viewpoint of safeguarding their property, preventing self-harming, and from the viewpoint of protecting the person from the actions of other detainees. Medication can only be permitted on the authority of a doctor, and every detained person is asked at the initial stage of detention if they wish to see a doctor who can authorise medication.
Where the person does not have English as their first language they are offered the services of an interpreter without charge.
Where the person is not a British citizen, they are asked if they wish to have their Consulate informed of their detention, and whether or not they wish to receive consular advice.
Additionally, every detained person is entitled to have someone else informed of their arrest and detention, and of course they are also entitled to free legal advice. The detainee is also entitled to appeal their case to a court of law.

I think it is fairly self evident from the above that just locking people up willy-nilly is simply not going to happen.
With the large number of people who seek entry to the UK there are bound to be those who do so with unlawful intent, and it is the often difficullt task of Border Force to weed them out and take appropriate action. At times there will be reasonable grounds to suspect a criminal offence, and in such circumstances arrest and detention are necessary as being the only way in which the person can be reliably brought before a court.
Border Force have a responsibility to both enforce, and act within, the law of the land.

My stance is that it is not Border Force, or indeed the Home Office, where a fault may lay, but that any perceived problems stem from the relevant law enacted by Parliament.

In a different vein, Iā€™m wondering why you refer to the ā€œFormer United Kingdomā€ as Iā€™m not aware of any dissolution of the Union having taken place as yet.
One day perhaps, but not at this time.

I think it is quite a good phrase as the UK is far from united right now.

2 Likes

Different sections of the country may have differing views over certain things, but being able to express them is surely one of the things that in fact unites us as a country.

You would hope so but politics in UK seems to be following the trend in UK where there is no middle ground and either you support Party ƀ and hate Party B and are hated by supporters of Party B - it is a horrible position.

Hopefully the uk border officers start too piss of more French officials with their arrests that the move the border back to England so the flow of migrants will start again so the people that voted for brexit gets even more new neighbors

I donā€™t see how the location of the border post will affect the numbers of people trying to illegally enter the UK.

And give it another couple of months of border restrictions I can see @anon88169868 trying to enter France illegally!

(I would have exploded by now!)

Off course it does why do you think the put on French soil

I hope that it doesnā€™t come to that.

But if it does I can paddle up the Vilaine and get within 10 miles of the house as the crow flies (about 16 by road).

Itā€™s difficult, I am intensely frustrated at not being able to travel - there always seems to be one insurmountable barrier. Had it not been for the UK quarantine requirements I would be there now (I was going to travel last Friday) and, with not visiting, Iā€™m increasingly worried about the state of the house and, especially, the garden. I used to think 12 weeks between visits was a bit of a stretch to keep on top of the little maintenance jobs that build up - 12 months is ā€œdoing my head inā€ as the vernacular has it.

1 Like

As far as I am aware the flow of migrants hasnā€™t stopped.

I donā€™t think it was supposed to per se - it was supposed to make it easier to deal with people who were detected trying to enter the UK (or the EU) illegally, presumably because, as they have not actually entered the UK (or EU) you can simply refuse to transport them - you donā€™t actually have to expel them from your territory.

1 Like

What flow are you talking about? The eu countries yes but they have not been a flow in to the uk

Donā€™t you remember the poster? Queues of migrants flooding into the U.K.! Nigel even stood in front of it and gestured with his hand to show us all all the evil brown people who were pouring in, thatā€™s why we needed to take back controlā€¦

According to Sky news more than 1000 migrants crossed the English Channel in the first three months of 2021. Presumably more have come since then.