When is the eu going to retaliate

After reading articles like this EU tourists complain of fingerprinting at UK border | Immigration and asylum | The Guardian

Hopefully the eu are going to take a hard stance on it

What’s the issue? They’re TCNs without visas. Until the European Visa system comes on line next year, travel into and out off the U.K. is going to be a PITA.

In other news, my fingerprints were scanned every time I entered the USA, Singapore, India and China despite having ETSA credentials for the USA and business visas for India and China.

3 Likes

I would assume because in the case of…

…it happens to everyone, not just ‘random bloke who’s wearing a green shirt and had a twitchy eye so we think might be a bit dodgy’.

If fingerprints are to be taken for everyone then I see no issue. It would grind the process to a halt which they very well know so likely wouldn’t happen but it would at least be the same for all, not applying one level for some, and another level for others.

2 Likes

Hopefully a system that see every Brit as potential overstayer ore worker

And that’s why there should be swift and severe retaliation. EU nationals do not currently require a visa to enter the UK and Border Force thugs bullying thousands of EU nationals isn’t good,
All driven by a women who could be living in squalor in Kampala if it wasn’t for Britain’s open and welcoming attitude to refugees in the seventies.

6 Likes

Having read the article you refer to I see nothing particularly wrong for the EU to take a hard stance about. Had the two persons who stories were given in the article been in possession of all the appropriate documents, then they would not have had such a difficult experience.

Every time my wife and I travel to the USA I am fully fingerprinted and photographed upon entering, and that is the usual procedure, even though I have a 10 year Visa for the USA and my wife is an American citizen.

1 Like

It all about reciprocity Robert and it’s not about two people.

“A total of 3,294 EU citizens were prevented from entering the UK, even though post-Brexit rules mean they are allowed to visit the country without visas. That compares with 493 EU citizens in the first quarter of last year, when air traffic was 20 times higher.”

Adjusting for volume that’s 25 vs 3,294. Patel and her goons are making a point and the EU should make one back.

Really John, suggesting that the government would be so petty, tut, tut.
You will be suggesting they lie about just about everything and whitewash over any problems with donations and part owning company’s next :wink::yum::grin:

The operative word is of course that EU citizens are allowed to VISIT the UK without a Visa.
It is the duty of Border Force to ensure that the person seeking entry is indeed ‘visiting’ in a genuine manner. When it becomes clear that the applicant has no job outside the UK to which to return, that they have no letter of invitation from a relative or friend lawfully residing in the UK, that they have no return ticket, or that they have no proof of funds sufficient for their intended length of stay, then the Border Force staff have every right to be suspicious and to make further enquiries. It is their job so to do, and if they did not do it then they would justly be subject to criticism.
In the same way that Brexit has changed things for UK citizens, it has also changed things for EU citizens, and they need to realise that just because they do not need a visa to enter the UK for a short visit, that they do need to be able to substantiate what they say when making their application to enter to the Border Force personnel. Fundamentally, EU citizens have to face the fact that they no longer have the right to just walk into the UK based on their passport issuance country.
What the EU citizen is being required to do upon entering the UK is no more than what I am required to do upon entering the USA. There really is little if any reason for complaint. Once again, it’s just a case of the British media stoking up and sensationalising a story for the sake of selling additional copy.

2 Likes

Agree - but it seems clear from the vast number of similar reports that the zeal with which border force officials are doing so is excessive.

Let’s agree to disagree Robert. I think Patel is a nasty piece of work and I think her border force is overdoing it.

I’ve never had a problem whatsoever on my many trips to the States, business or vacation. Though I always thought my IBM badge and skin colour counted as much as my British passport. I used to fly through Dublin a lot because you could get the immigration formalities over with before you boarded the plane thereby avoiding queues etc.

2 Likes

Agreed, but how does that sit with locking up EU citizens who were invited to the UK for job interviews :thinking:

4 Likes

Well Graham, would you agree that such EU persons were probably not invited by Border Force themselves ? (Rhetorical.)
Seems to me that perhaps these persons were not actually in possession of the relevant documentation to prove that they had been invited to come for an interview, as had that been the case, then one phone call would have been all that was necessary to confirm their entry application details. Also, were these persons ‘locked up’ or merely detained pending necessary enquiries to confirm their status ? Were these persons in possession of a return ticket I wonder ? Were these persons given the option of immediately returning from whence they came, as if so, then their detention pending enquiries would effectively have been their own choice.

I realise the matter of numbers is being raised as a matter of question, but could it be that there are a significant number of questionable entry applicants simply because there are a large number of entry applicants overall ?
I have to say that I still think that it is a certain section of the British press making a mountain out of a molehill for the purpose of selling additional copy. When one reads such articles extracted from the press, then I am often of the opinion that what is not said is probably actually more important than what is placed in print.

1 Like

Why would anyone want to visit another country unnecessarily during a pandemic? Especially with increasing numbers of cases of the Indian variant.

4 Likes

Well being taken to a secure detention centre, having your passport and your mobile phone taken away and being denied access to your medication sounds remarkably like being locked up to me.

4 Likes

The EU already is taking a hard stance, certainly in terms of trade. Speaking regularly to a couple of wagon drivers bringing cheddar cheese into France (from a French company in Scotland), to be made into la Vache qui Rit cheese and they are always now held up 10 hours at Calais each entry to France, except the last time one was held up 4 days because 1 digit was wrong on one palet. Cheese confiscated for 4 days until it was sorted out. I haven’t read the article just the comments but I don’t like your love of revenge! Maybe it’s ok as it won’t affect you!!

Given the ambulance chasing adverts by Vicky Butler-Henderson (who?) persuading people to make a claim against Mercedes concerning the so called emissions scandal, I wouldn’t be at all surprised.

I doubt that will happen - big multinational companies who already sell across customs borders generally have armies of staff dedicated to sorting out problems and demand for the high end European marques is likely to remain strong. However, the price of their vehicles in the UK is likely to reflect the extra paperwork and friction.

The same is NOT true for smaller companies, who are struggling. It is easy to see why this might be if you think it through.

If a small EU company is selling into the UK and suddenly finds the profit margin is eaten up in paperwork it might well decide that it is too much hassle. Especially when it can still reach 87% of the market it used to by concentrating on the rest of the EU.

It’s much harder for a small UK company who was selling into the EU to do the same. For one thing trade with 87% of your customer base just got tougher and more expensive, it might not be that easy to reach new markets either. Whereas you used to have one product which would sell in the UK and Europe you might find it needs a redesign to be legal in other markets which is expensive. It will need re-certifying in other markets, which is expensive, and all the other markets are further away which increases transport costs and decreases your competitiveness. If it is too expensive for a UK company to sell into the EU post Brexit, it is likely it will also be too expensive to sell into the US, South America, India, China, or Australia as well.

The position is similar for B2B trade.

If an EU company is buying from the UK, say sourcing some component from the UK , suddenly finds that component more expensive because of Brexit they are likely to look elsewhere. Given that the EU market is 5 times larger than the UK market they may well find an alternative, or find someone willing to start making an alternative. Once they have transferred their business it is not coming back to the UK - so it is very likely that a lot of smaller â€‰firms will stop trading with the UK.

Meanwhile for the UK company in a similar position - well we could go further afield and source components in the US or China but then shipping costs start to rear their heads as well as having to keep a much higher value of goods in transit. We do not have trade deals with the US or China so tariffs come into the picture - and if you counter with “we do not have trade deals YET”, that’s true but an SME could easily go bankrupt waiting for one but having a harder and more expensive time now.

These (and other) reasons I find it difficult to swallow the claim that we will simply replace EU trade with trade further afield. It might have worked 150 years ago when we could just plunder the Empire but not in the 21st century.

So, Paul - are you just going to delete any post I respond to?

For someone with such strong opinions that seems an unusual response.

I’d stop wondering and start thinking about the economic advantages.